OT ATV tire bead breaking help

Kow Farmer

I was wondering what some of you have done at home in your shop on trying to break the beads on your atv tires? I have an old Kawasaki 300 Bayou that the tires are bald. I bought another non running 4 wheeler for the tires last weekend, unfortunately the rims on back are dished differently because of the brake drums. And the beads are bent worse on the parts wheeler than mine. I tried breaking the tire bead with my skidloader bucket, but I don't have enough weight and hydraulic down pressure I guess. I doubt a new tire dealer would bother changing out my used tires since I bought them privately. I have asked 3 people I know that have farm shop tire changers and none of them can change these out because of the small rim size. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated from you. Thank you very much.
Kow Farmer Kurt

I'm surprised that the skid steer wouldn't do it. Did you drive on them or use the bucket?

At my quad shop we have a bead breaker, they do make the small ones.
It is important to lube the beads, even when taking them off, we use ru-glide but a heavy mix of soapy water will help.

Hi Dune Country,
Yes I did use the bucket only. You say to lube the beads is important. I would like to know what you have had luck with and how
you get the lube inside the beads? Thank you for the reply.
Kow Farmer Kurt

Hey Randy,
I thought of that also. I used to do masonry work years ago and we used a very wide chisel to split cement blocks. I wondered if they that would work?
Kow Farmer Kurt

(quoted from post at 15:15:37 03/25/16) Hey Randy,
I thought of that also. I used to do masonry work years ago and we used a very wide chisel to split cement blocks. I wondered if they that would work?
Kow Farmer Kurt

Start with about 1" wide.

kow farmer there is a bead breaker just for 4 wheelers and lawnmowers. call your local tire shop that does farm tires. they might have a machine. I am suprized you havn't destroyed tires using a skid loader bucket to try to dis mount them. Be careful with them sidewalls aren't very thick.

Thank you for the advice. I gave up on the skid loader bucket attempt real fast before I did wreck the sidewalls.
Kow Farmer Kurt

i use dish soap and water in a pump spray bottle. push the bead in as far as you can, they spray it up heavy. do that a couple times and it will work the liquid in the bead releasing it.

Can you explain your technique in more detail please. Exactly what you do, I mean. Interesting to me. Thank you.
Kow Farmer Kurt

the old timers years ago used to pour a bottle of Coke around the beat and let 'er sit for a while, never tried it. I use a handyman jack, or an old car bumper jack on the smaller tires.

put the tire under either a truck bumer or tractor drawbar. then put the shoe of the jack on the bead, then hook the jaw of the jack on the drawbar. raise the jack and it will push the shoe down on the bead.

If you are using a jack or similar to push down on the bead, on a atv tire it helps to leave a pound or two of air in the tire, that way your jack or whatever can push on the bead and the sidewall and it will usually pop right loose.

I have a old manual tire changer. Made a shorter linkage for small rims. Workes good. But tire shops should have no trouble. Unless you buy all your tires. Somewhere else.

Because they run such low air pressure,they have very tight beads,and,are harder to break down than regular tube less tires.You may also try an atv shop,but I would bet they would be high priced,but they will have the bead breaker that works.Or else a tire shop should be able;I have done that before.Mark

Either drive over one side with a pickup or use the loader bucket is how I do mine sometimes takes a few tries

Change them all the time but we use a rim clamp tire changer. You can break them down with your skid loader bucket. The trick is with four wheeler tires to break the bead leave a small amount of air in the tire & break the deep dish side 1st. You don't need to lube up or pour anything on the bead.

I made this from a dulled brick chisel , a piece of pipe , and a solid bar . Works every time
a221377.jpg

Did one a while back, ended up using about an 18" 2x4 with a 45 chamfer cut on one end, leaving about 1/4" flat. Put the flat side toward the wheel, started pushing it down with a loaded fork lift fork. Just kept turning it and pushing, it finally gave it up.

It was a real challenge getting it off the wheel, same getting the new one on! Even with lots of soap on the bead, had to air it way beyond the limit to seat the bead! Scary!

This was tubeless, can't imagine getting a tube in there without pinching it.

Harbor Freight manual changer, with a 20% off coupon and on sale, I gave $20.00 for mine, and I bought it just for the bead breaker.

Good land these guys make things difficult. Spent 22 years owning a tire shop. It's almost funny to see how hard they make things trying to save a nickle.

what no one has mentioned is on your older atv's they have a double bead, another raised ring inside the wheel, i worked on one 1/2 a day once, finally took it to tire shop,..my newer atv don't have it

I've only had one tire whip my vertical log splitter, and it was an "airplane" tire that the tire shop couldn't break down either.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back