OT--bush hog

Ken-Ga

Member
I have some heavy bushhogging to do with my ford 4000 diesel. I intend on borrowing a friend's heavy duty bush hog to go over some land that was just clear-cut. It's a sho nuff heavy duty bush hog. I asked him what grade shear pin he used and he said "none". I asked him what protects the gearbox and he said "nothing". Well, I asked then what protects the tractor? He said if I hit something too big, the engine may shut off!! My tractor is a 1967 model and although it is strong, I don't want to hurt it. I have done a lot of hogging with lesser grade mowers over brush. opinions please
 
Sound's like my 8N. Hit something too big and it'll shut you down. Crank er up and you won't do it again. David.
 
Ken...you definitely want some kind of shear pin or other safety in the driveline. Your 4000 develops plenty of torque to damage something pricey in the driveline.

Have you looked at the mower to make sure there's no shearpin? He may have one & not know it.

Jeff
 
Thanks for the idea. I saw the bush hog but did not pay attention to the shear pin location. My friend that owns it was raised on tractors and should know but I need to see it myself. He uses it with a brand new John Deere that is a category I tractor and he said it will sometimes bog his tractor down and stop his engine! WHOA there!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top