OT carrots and onions this year

Case Nutty 1660

I think I have found my problem but would like to hear if I am right,,, been raising a garden for close to 30 years never had a issue growing carrots or onions before this year,,, I am pretty sure my problem is mostly the fact I got too much fertilizer mixed in the ground this spring,,, here are what I have for carrots,, soil is loose, down at least 10" below planting level, sandy ground and I watered them twice a day,,, anyone else having issues this year? also has to be some of the seed stock as I got only about 30% germ on the three rows I planted, I used 35 yearold goat poo,,, they also have little taste, the lat pic you can see the onions as well, those are Walla Walla and I have a row of red ones as well neither are growing much at all
cnt
a235675.jpg

a235676.jpg

a235677.jpg

a235678.jpg

My onions are much smaller this year--wet all summer here in central Minn. Carrots look OK so far, but not great. Potatoes have huge tops with only 3 or 4 large potatoes under them. I always put on extra P on all root crops and seems to help with yield and quality.

I have no idea on your carrots. Your onions need some urea sidedressed. Onions like nitrogen. We use to raise onions for market and we always gave them a shot of urea to get them going. They need a big top to produce a large sweet bulb.

Case Nutty 1660,I looks like you might have Root Knot Nematodes and or needle nematodes in your soil.They got into my garden a few years ago and I couldn't grow any kind of root crop,then it got so bad it wouldn't grow good corn or even tomatoes ant more. I planted it in tall fescue and annual ryegrass for the past few years to help get rid of them.It is said that if is covered with black plastic in the summer that will get them,but that would be a lot of plastic to cover my garden. Moved the garden spot a couple years ago and now they are in it.I am fed up with them and really PO!I really enjoy a good garden but may not even have one next spring.
Nematodes

I live in a very DRY area I always water the garden at least twice a day on certain crops if not it burns up,, this year we have had less than 5" of H20 since Jan 1
cnt

Den, I agree that is what I was also told and it sure looks right,, this area will only have Corn next year I think,,, I just had gotten the potato bugs under control this year and this lol thanks for all the reply's
cnt

Case Nutty 1660,I think how my problem got started was from some horse manure that was not composted properly and long enough.Did you put any thing on your garden in the last year or so?

Rather than watering twice a day, you could put the water to better use by going to drip irrigation. Puts the water right on the roots where the plant really needs it. Also uses much less water than top watering.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back