OT Dodge Durango Heater module?

Tom N MS

Well-known Member
Friend has a 2001 Durango Sport. Not exactly sure what the part is called but it is located in a heater hose under the hood right against the firewall and it is leaking again. Would have cost him over $300 the first time but it was under warranty. Someone said it might be a dealer item. Lot a very large part, maybe 2" diameter and seems to have maybe a diaphragm or maybe a solenoid. You can see 2, 3 or 4 screws on the side of it that seems to hold a small plate on the side of it. I assume that it has to do with allowing or not allowing the hot water to flow into the heater core. I tried Parts Train but could not find a breakdown showing anything to do with the heater..Any suggestions, experiences with? Seems to be a weak spot since it is an 01 and this has gone bad twice. Thanks
 
It don't appear to be a maunal shutoff valve. I'm thinking that maybe it is a valve/module that controls the water flow and that once a certain temp. is reached, it will let the water flow through the heater core..I guess it is just one of those things that he will have to get at the stealer. Looks like a 5 min. job to remove the old one and slip a new one in the hose.
 
Right, it's operated by vacuum or an electric motor, which gets it's command from the HVAC "control head".
 
If that part costs too much you can buy a manual plastic one cheap to go in the line and plug the vacuum line.

Most good rednecks either need heat for months, or don't need it for months, and like extra money in their pockets for beer.
 
Yep!!

You knew right off, that I waz talkin about myself.

I have seen a few of them stupid things over priced in my time.
 
I want to say it was a Ford Pinto that I couldn't keep them things from leaking, and they thought they was made of gold.

I just don't need that much automation.

My '88 Blazer that I bought new used to tick me off, in the winter turn on the defroster and the A/C cam on too.

I do know all of the whys, and wherefores..

But that wasn't what I wanted.

Easy fix.

In the winter I unplugged the wires to the A/C compressor.

If I needed air I plugged it back up.

No telling how much gas I saved doing that.
 
Once upon a time I stocked one # of heater valves and it bout"fit"em all, like Dunk said a little plastic one that I think fit a mid to late Buick regal V6. Buy"em by the case 2 bucks apiece. Probably what financed the chinese to git"em in the manufacturing businesses and messed up the whole damm world.
 
They were made out of biodegradable materials not gold,,,think green. Now we have $200 dollar actuator motors that move a $500 blend door, both break must B biodegradable.
 

Probably full of lead too.

We used to take our lead sinkers and bite them onto our fishing line.

And yall always wondered what was wrong with me.
 
Hobo, I would have never thought you were the one supporting them and helping them get so deep rooted in our country...
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top