OT - Happy New Year What's for Dinner???

Bruce (VA)

Other than the few times a year when I get out the smoker & make BBQ, today is about the only day of the year when I'm in charge of the dinner menu. Black-eyed peas, stewed tomatoes, turnip greens, smoked pepper hog jowls & corn bread. My cousins are bringing desserts because dessert cooking requires actual culinary skills! All I'm able to master is the three basic ingredients common to nearly all Southern cooking: pork/lard, sugar & cornmeal!

What's on the menu at your place?

(quoted from post at 10:57:12 01/01/10) Other than the few times a year when I get out the smoker & make BBQ, today is about the only day of the year when I'm in charge of the dinner menu. Black-eyed peas, stewed tomatoes, turnip greens, smoked pepper hog jowls & corn bread. My cousins are bringing desserts because dessert cooking requires actual culinary skills! All I'm able to master is the three basic ingredients common to nearly all Southern cooking: pork/lard, sugar & cornmeal!

I think I am just going to come to your house....

I know the Ole Lady is cooking collards, and black eyed peas, what else I don't know.

My wife, bless her heart, is from South Bend IN. Which is why I do most of the "ethnic" cooking around here!

(quoted from post at 10:57:12 01/01/10) Other than the few times a year when I get out the smoker & make BBQ, today is about the only day of the year when I'm in charge of the dinner menu. Black-eyed peas, stewed tomatoes, turnip greens, smoked pepper hog jowls & corn bread. My cousins are bringing desserts because dessert cooking requires actual culinary skills! All I'm able to master is the three basic ingredients common to nearly all Southern cooking: pork/lard, sugar & cornmeal!

Roast pork with cabbage and apples. Taters and home made bread on the side - both slathered with real butter.

"Pork fat rules - Emeril"

TOH

Here in Pennsylvania Dutch country menu includes pork and sauerkraut. Other fixings vary depending on who is cooking.

(quoted from post at 09:57:12 01/01/10) Other than the few times a year when I get out the smoker & make BBQ, today is about the only day of the year when I'm in charge of the dinner menu. Black-eyed peas, stewed tomatoes, turnip greens, smoked pepper hog jowls & corn bread. My cousins are bringing desserts because dessert cooking requires actual culinary skills! All I'm able to master is the three basic ingredients common to nearly all Southern cooking: pork/lard, sugar & cornmeal!

WHAT? You live that close to Chesapeake Bay and your not having oysters?

Left over Hoppin' John and Top sirloin ( Local store had it on sale @ $1.99) You can still see the marks from where the jockey was hitting it. ;-)

Fried up a mess Wednesday & what's left in the jar will be in oyster stew for tomorrow.....if they don't get eaten raw before that!

"It was a brave man that ate the first raw oyster!"

Happy New Year, Bruce!

Your meal sounds very good. We had chicken molé last night with homemade bread and homebrew.

Colin

lobster and vegetarian pie, which is-portobello and shitake mushrooms sauted in a pan with scallions, ginger, garlic, cinnamon stick, star anise,soy sauce and vegtable stock. Pour into a baking dish and cover with a can of chick peas, and a mixture of mashed yams and potatos. Bake 15 minutes, and broil for 2, to brown the top. Got the wife a cookbook for Christmas, and told her to pick out something and I would make it. Personally I think some shrimp or chicken breast in it would be great, but its for her. A few times a year I'll tell her to pick out whatever she wants from a cookbook, sometimes I get lucky and it's easy, sometimes not. It's like tractor work, some jobs are a piece of cake, some you think will be a slice of pie, and you get the boobie prize.

Lentil soup, lasagne, meat balls, short ribs, stuffed artichokes, prime rib, baked potato, desert black coffee and pastries.....

Bruce.......OYSTER STEW. Germanic family tradition, whitefish (oysters are white and expensive) for first meal of new year for good luck.

I've had oysters around the world and them Chesapeake Bay "Chincoteague" oysters are bland and insipid. Best were Alabama Mobile Bay oysters on half-shell at Felix's in New Orleans. Today's oysters were Puget Sound "Olympias". 1-qt $7.79 (cheap) ......Dell with freezer full of Rocky Mountain Oysters, and yes one of them worked, My son is Capt USAF in sandbox

Just got through cooking up some spicy Migas for brunch (a new family tradition) and will have corned beef and cabage tonight, with black-eyed peas of course - an old family tradition.

Dan

Weve got pot of Boston Baked Beans and Ham in the oven, gonna have that later with some fresh pumpernickel bread, coleslaw, and maybe a few cold brews, while we watch the Rose Bowl game.

No fancy dinners here today. Trying to get a tractor running while I have a chance to use a friends heated shop. Just stopped for a club sandwich for lunch.
Just wanted to mention that with all the talk here about ham and pork, aren't you glad you're not a Moslem or a Jew?

Our traditional New Years chow -- corned beef, potatoes, cabbage & carrots.

It's 11 degrees so it will hit the spot.

Go Boilers!

Black eyed peas, collard greeans, hog jawl and cornbread.

You mean everybody doesn't eat like us southerner's???

Dang shame I tell ya. :0)

Traditional Midwestern Michigan, New Years same as every Thrashing day. Meat, Potatoes and gravy with a vegetable. Desert today Freestone peach pie. Home brew Blueberry wine for relazing.
Appreciate being able to find some guys that share similiar backgrounds.
Charles Krammin from fruit country and winter wheat of Michigan

(quoted from post at 11:00:52 01/01/10)

I think I am just going to come to your house....

I know the Ole Lady is cooking collards, and black eyed peas, what else I don't know.

It ended up being pork neck, and cornbread too, not bad, and the dogs loved the bones.

Blackeyed Peas, Hog Jowl, my wife's wonderful corn bread and a trip to the gun cabinet for a shot (or two) of my favorite adult beverage: JD...

Rib roast, Yorkshire pudding, asparagus with hollandaise, mixed baby greens salad, good artisan bread, a nice red, and pecan pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert. Am I a lucky man or what?

(quoted from post at 10:51:52 01/01/10) Fried up a mess Wednesday & what's left in the jar will be in oyster stew for tomorrow.....if they don't get eaten raw before that!

"It was a brave man that ate the first raw oyster!"

So, Bruce how do you make your oyster stew? I do mine with lots of milk, half & half, butter, garlic salt & garlic pepper and sometimes a can of rotel to add some spice.

WOW! Lots of good cooking going on today! I think I'll make some suggestions to the real cook around here....

That's pretty much my recipe as well, except I use a garlic clove along w/ a grated celery stalk or two & fresh parsley. If I'm the only one eating it, I'll put in a shot of cayenne pepper.

I worked w/ a guy born & raised on Tangier Island which is in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay. Listening to him talk about oysters & crabs was like listening to a Frenchman talk about wine & cheese. There is a real following around here for "Bay" oysters as opposed to Chincoteague oysters which are actually from the Atlantic. Whenever I'd go there, I'd skip the oysters & get the clams! We can get nice oysters in the grocery stores here 100 miles from the Bay, but no one (other than a couple of speciality seafood stores) gets clams! Go figure....

Bruce.......all I could remember was they were NOT what I'd call "braggin' orsters". Used to gitt a "carpet-bagger" steak in Sidney. 2"-thick fillet mignon "hollowed" (sliced) and stuffed with oysters. yum-yum. Wine was "Bin-26". I'd never heard of or seen a wine sommelier before. (little saucer on a neck-chain to taste the wine first) ......Dell

Costco has a great "Chicken & Broccoli caserole" along with a roasted juicy ham .
UHMM good.
Stan
1949 8N146710
1949 8N179555
1949 8N197904
1950 8N254079
1951 8N362039

& a 1950 parts tractor
In a pear tree

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back