OT HEAT FOR OFFICE COMPUTER ROOM

lenray

My office computer room is 20x24. It is heated with a hot water boiler, both oil and wood fired.

I am looking for a heat source for the fall and later winter months where I don't need the big heat source.

Maybe a propane fired heater--want one with a chimney if I go that route. Maybe an electric base board heater.

Just not sure which way to go. Looking for suggestions

I burn wood but do not want to start it up just to take the chill out. I have some electric base board heaters in my family room. Quick quiet even heat.

Hi- mirror image! Same here- built the house in "97, but the office is an offshoot of the garage- 8x16, in front of the car and truck. Just some electric baseboard heaters from the old house, used when needed. Might be a MN thing?

If your electric Bill is resonable? You could try an "Oil Filled Radiator". Like the old style radiator heaters. I bought 2 about 2 yrs ago at Rural King Supply for $40.00 a piece. I had a gas bill of around $275 dollars on the coldest months of the year. Plugged these in, & the electric bill went up about $60/mo; But the gas bill went down about $130. A savings of $70/mo. They have an adjustable thermostat on them that seems to work quite well for me! The heaters easily paid for themselves in under 2 months. Thats going to vary depending on local Utility costs, weather, etc, etc.

Scotty

If you can just leave it unheated. Its better on the computers unless it gets down to freezing temps, then you have to leave them running. In our server room the AC in there stays running through the winter because the heater heats it up too much, kinda counter productive IMO. Around 60-70 degrees is the typical server room temp.

Just a basic portable 1500watt electric heater with a thermostat. Why make it so complicated? That should be enough energy to maintain temp.

I agree with base boards

Cheap - $30-100 depending on size
Easy to install - few screws and run some wires
Very little maintenance - unlike blowers that collect dust
Space savers - don't stick out in the room
Quite - no fan no noises

How about more computers? :)

We have a computer room about the same size, and we worry more about keeping it cool. We're a software company, so we're talking LOTS of computers.

Remember you don't want the humidity to get too low either.

I have a catalytic propane unit in my shop. It is very efficient. my CO detector never activates. I usually keep the temp around 45 then kick it up to 55-60 when I'm going to be in there. Since they consume Oxygen I just crack a window when I'm in there. $265 for heat for the season. 40x50x17 Ft

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back