OT No Till Corn on Corn

super99

Well-known Member
Question for you guys. Last year I had the whole farm in corn, notill into bean stubble. I got a set of Dawn row cleaners, took the coulters off and got along real good. Planned to disc cornstalks, chisel plow and disk or field cultivate and plant corn back on half of field and beans on the other half. Got to wondering about just notilling the corn in. Will the standing cornstalks plug the row cleaners? Would you have to plant in the middles, or try to plant in the old row? With the corn markets like they are, thinking maybe I should go back to all corn. Need to check and make sure I can get seed and enough fertilizer. Any thoughts? Chris
 
With the price of fuel, there may be more of this tried. I have never no tilled back into corn. It would work better had the stalks been shredded or disked in the fall. I would think that if you split the middles you sould be able to make it work. Let us know how you do.

Good luck, Gene
 
The row cleaners will be fine. Try to plant as close to the old rows as possible. If you plant in between the old rows you are planting in the tracks from your previous passes. You will need some warm dry weather before you try to plant corn in those conditions. Talk to your agronomist and run this past him and see what he suggest. There are some places corn doesnt respond well to no-till much less a continous no till corn rotation. Good luck.
bill
 
A couple of years ago I read something interesting about no-tilling corn that I had never heard before. The author of this article claimed that in no till corn-on-corn the new corn plant can somehow sense that the old corn plant's roots are still there and it will go on the defensive. He claimed this was detrimental for some reason but I forget what it was all about. He was recommending planting the new corn a certain distance away from the old row. In minimum or reduced till situations he claimed that any old root ball that wasn't dislodged from the soil would have an adverse effect on any corn plant growing close to it. Anybody else heard anything about this? Jim
 
my neighbor no-tills everything uses a machine called salford. it is a bunch of waved coulters. they pull it with a john deere 8630 about 7 miles per hour.
he goes over all corn stalks in fall. this will bust up root ball, in spring they go over everything.
this makes a better seedbed and does better job
of getting fertilizer and chemicals where they are needed.
 
The old stalks should fly like glass if spring ever gets here unless the old corn was a BT hybrid. In that case the stalks might still be pretty tough.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top