OT,not a good average so far

rrlund

Well-known Member
I started calving yesterday. Went out this morning,had 1 new one up and following mama,another cow had broke water. She got up and stuck her head in the feeder and acted like nothing had happened. I let her go a few hours and she wouldn't even lay back down.SOOO,I drove her into the chute and sleeved up. Calf was backwards. Got it out and it was small and the front legs were deformed.Dead of course. Not something that you like to see already on just day 2.
 
Hmmm.....that is something I couldnt do, help to birth calves. Ranks right up there with pumping septic tanks. Of course there are folks that wouldnt think of getting oil and machined chips on their hands every day either.
 
Yea,getting in there with both arms to hook a chain to one takes a little getting used to,but if the vet can do it,so can I.You just want somebody holding the slimy tail out of your face. Went back in hoping there was a live twin in there,but no such luck this time.Fed that cow all winter for nothing!
 
Sorry to hear bout your luck. I am batting a 0 so far and not supposed to start for a few more weeks. Found a cow in labor about 6 weeks ago in one of the ice storms. Couldn't recall the bull getting out last spring but stranger things have happened over the last few years. Went back a few hours latter and she had slipped a calf WAY early. Was not much bigger than a possum, did not even have hair yet. Fed her most of the winter for nothing.

Dave
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top