OT - replacing timing chain and sprockets

Dan-IA

Member
I tore down the <a href="http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ttalk&th=612751">car with a funny noise</a>. Not knowing what I was in for, I planned to pull the whole engine out. But somewhere along the way Dad said "check the timing chain." So we pulled that cover.

Well, after the chain and sprockets were out, I did a <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIM0FuV4aMY">chain-slop test on the camshaft sprocket</a>. That video shows the old chain first, then the new one.

Is that enough to make my noise, or should I still plan to pull the head? I'm thinking I might put it all back and try it first.
 
Timing gears will make a noise. My late father-in-law had a 1950 Ford with about 50k miles and it started making a noise that sounded like a loose rod. They told him at the Ford garage it was the timing gear so he and I instaleed a new gear. That cured the problem. Hal
 
So how was the auto tentioner as I mentioned in orig post?

Is there material on shoe and is spring intact?
 
A worn timing chain will jump timing.Never heard a noisy one.Timing gears will make noise.Might as well put in a new one if you have it apart.If it jumps time on the road the tow will coat way more than a new chain and gear.
 
I've driven chevys with chains so loose they wore a hole in the cover, that never rattled and ran smoothly. Only warning was oil leakage.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top