OT: Train Songs

Dean

Folks, there are many CW songs about trains, so there are many to choose from.

Of course, The Wreck Of The Old 97 is obvious so you don't get any points for choosing it but we still want to hear your favorite versions.

Hank Snow recorded several songs about trains including this one that is one of my favorites but not well known. A post in a thread below about Ghost Riders In The Sky reminded me of this.

What are your favorites?

Dean
Ghost Trains

Engine engine number nine by Roger Miller or at least performed by him. More a song about heartache and loss but pretty melody nonetheless.

My Dad's best friends daughter and good friend of mine just married Gordon Lightfoot a couple years ago. I will let her know you like his song,

"[i:654c4848f0]Well I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison

and I went to pick her up in the rain,

but before I could get to the station in a pickup truck,

she got runned over by a da**ed old train![/i:654c4848f0]"

David Allan Coe

Im allowed to go to the coffee shop in town now on wed nights,There is a group that gets together for bluegrass music.I hope to be there this wed,,and if I can get someone to record and post it,,we will play Glendale train for y/t!

Ultradog, My family and I saw Josh Turner at Belleayre Music fest July 2012. Excellent show and we were just a few feet from the stage! Great family entertainment.

"Ramblin' Man" by Hank Williams. "Life is Like a Mountain Railway" (Life's Railway to Heaven). "Engine, Engine No. 9", by Roger Miller.

Iron Mountain Baby is a song of a true story of a baby thrown from a train on the St.Louis Irin Muntain in Washington County Missouri Also Jesse James robbed the St. Lois Iron Mountain train at Gads Hill. Story in in Ballad of Jesse James

When I was a kid we had a record - don't know by whom- I remember words... "the runaway train went down the track and she flew WOOOO, the runaway train went down the tracks and she flew WOOO, the runaway train when down the track the whistle wide and the throttle back and she flew, flew, flew, flew, flew. The engineer said well I'll be dead and she flew..."

PETER, PAUL. & MARY...I'M GOIN HOME, ON THE MORNIN TRAIN, IF U DON'T SEE ME, U KIN HEAR ME SINGIN, ALL MY SINS BEEN, TAKEN AWAYYY..

City of New Orleans was the first one came to mind but somebody already mentioned it. So heres one that I grew up listening to on one of my favourite sixties tv shows. Some of you must recall the Hooterville Cannonball?
Petticoat Junction

Anybody mention "All Around the Watertank" (Waitin' for a Train) by Jimmy Rodgers. This may have been the first of the CW train songs.

(quoted from post at 13:18:35 05/13/18) "[i:a61ea6e45f]Well I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison

and I went to pick her up in the rain,

but before I could get to the station in a pickup truck,

she got runned over by a da**ed old train![/i:a61ea6e45f]"

David Allan Coe

Also written by Steve Goodman.

Oooooh! That's an easy one. At least half of Johnny's songs are about trains or have a line about a train in them. His version of the Special is great, but he also sang about a train from the Pennsy that was the competition to that train. Anyone here recall the name of that song? Aaaaaand for the bonus, name a third song he did about another train bound for FLA....also competing for passengers.

Mike

Jerry Jeff Walker did a song called Railroad Lady.It was supposedly written by Steve Goodman,Jimmy Buffet,and a bottle of Johnny Walker on a last run for some rail line.Guy Clark wrote and performed Mad Dog Cyclone a couple of years before he died.Told from the view of a 5 year old laying a nickel on the track for the train to run over.

I just realized I wrote Steve Goodman as co-writer of the song.It was not,it was Jerry Jeff himself that wrote it with Jimmy Buffett.I probably had Steve Goodman in my mind while typing.I don't know how to edit my post to correct it.

Smokestack Lightning -- Howlin Wolf Casey Jones -everyones favorite coke head engineer. Chicago Line -Debbie Davies and a bunch of blues artists. Lots by Hank Snow. Steve Goodmans ultimate country song .

Jimmy Rodgers was a brakeman,wrote and recorded 30 songs,died at 30 in 1930,of consumption.Lots of his songs were train and hobo songs.The only one that comes to mind right now is Hobo Billy.A friend of my dads was named after Jimmy Rodgers,his real last name was Rodgers and his father liked Jimmy so that's what he named him.Not James,but Jimmy.That was in 1936.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back