OT: Wife retiring today

JML755

Well, today is my wife's last day of work. She was ready to go 2 yrs ago at 63 mostly because she hated what her job had become (she's a research nurse). I told her she had to wait until at least 65 (to get on medicare) so either suck it up or find another job. Never figured anyone would hire her with just a couple of years left to work. Well, darned if she didn't find another research nurse job. I think she would have stuck it out longer at this one but the people she works with are terrible, treat her like she knows nothing (after 40 years as a nurse), no respect, constantly criticizing, etc. Funny thing is, most of the patients she works with are upset she's leaving, asking her to reconsider, giving her gifts. Guess that says a lot. Anyway, she turned 65 last week and stuck it out another week because someone is one vacation this week. I told her to be VERY careful on her rush hour drive back & forth to work. :shock: It'd really stink to get in a car accident on your last day. :lol:

Also, today is also our 44th wedding anniversary. So it's an expensive week (BD dinner last week, wedding anniversary dinner and retirement celebratory dinner tomorrow nite).

BTW, last week's BD dinner was at a top rated restaurant in downtown Detroit that we've been wanting to try. Steaks were $50-57 (ala-carte) and the waitress mentioned they had an "off menu" steak that nite that she described in several sentences, can't remember all the stuff she said about it because I went deaf after she said it was $ 120. :shock: We had the fish. :lol: Wonder how much you cattlemen get out of that $120 piece of meat.

On the way home I kept thinking about the tools I could have bought for the price of that dinner. :lol: Along the same lines, she got a $300 gift card at a spa from my daughters for her BD. She's going next week for a "spa day", massage, facial, pedicure, manicure, etc. I just bought a Stihl chainsaw for $300. 2 weeks from now, I'll still have the brand new saw and her muscles will be be tensed up again. Go figure, but you know the saying: "Happy wife, happy life". :D :wink:

Tell her congratulations. My wife was a nurse like 40 some years and now retired of course, and when I tease her about maybe going back to work one lousy day a week SHE REVOLTS LOL. I'm in the same boat this month we have BOTH her birthday plus its our 47th so two nice dinners coming up. I'm way too tight to spring for $50 steaks but that being said the last time we had such at a Ruth's Chris Steak House THOSE WERE THE FINEST I EVER CONSUMED. We opt more often for Texas Roadhouse

CONGRATULATIONS

John T

Hope you've been eating your Wheaties, 'cause your life is about to get much busier. Lol!

Tell her congrats on the retirement.

My hat is off to her, we are all so lucky to have people like her. And anytime I hear someone is retiring after a lifetime of work.
And really glad it gets some news as it shows those that hard work does pay off.

Yes you will be a lot busier now with the boss around all day. Congrats to your wife and I hope she enjoys her retirement for many years.

My wife and I are retired. A rule we made for our retirements was, "You don't make a list of projects for me and I will not make one for you". Its working very well, some times we hint to the other something that "ought' to be done. But we mostly live by the rule. If I want to spend my time tinkering on tractors and she reading a book that's fine. Works for us. gobble

John T,
Yeah, I mentioned to my wife she couldn't schedule her spa day for next Monday because she should be job-searching. :lol: I got the "LOOK": :evil: (probably the same one you got)

As for me getting busier, that's ok, I like to stay busy. We've got our house up for sale and we've been working like crazy getting it ready (figuring out what to do with 30 yrs of accumulated "stuff"). No offers yet, but as soon as it sells, I'm retiring. We'll be moving into a 2nd house we own next to our 55A vacant land near Port Huron, MI and then building a retirement home and barns on the vacant piece. I've got about 2 pages of projects up there to work on.

She'll be pacing the floor and fondling her car keys for a few months. My wife hasn't worked in seven or eight years now. If you make it past the urge to kill each other,its nice not to have to plan around her schedule.

Mine retired after 32 years in the same doctors office. Before that, she had worked at 2 different hospitals.
When she retired in April, the office and the patients were upset to see her leave. I tell her she needs to run for county council because every where we go, people know her. That ain't gonna happen.
We are enjoying her being home on our small farm.
Richard

That's true, she does it for me on my Birthday !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will break down and do it for her, you shamed me into it you rascal lol

John T

Congratulations on your 44th anniversary and your wife's retirement. Marilyn retired six or seven years ago when she was too young to draw social security. The stress of her job of managing employees, parents and the parent's children was affecting her health so she quit. Every time we drive by her former place of employment she looks longingly at the building as if she was still working there but her days there are in the past. Now we are enjoying more time together, something we longed for, for many years. When I have to go pick up a feed trailer that's two hours away or pick up some parts all I have to mention is I'm going there and she is ready to crawl in the truck and go. I don't even have to ask her. LOL I am becoming lackadaisical about keeping track of the bills because she pays them now instead of me doing it and sometimes there isn't enough communication about what was paid.

On the fourth I was talking about retirement to a parts manager at a local dealer. He told me he turns 66 later in this month and the day before he turns 66 he's retiring. He sounded like he is counting the days. Good for him.

(quoted from post at 08:40:57 07/07/17) My wife and I are retired. A rule we made for our retirements was, "You don't make a list of projects for me and I will not make one for you". Its working very well, some times we hint to the other something that "ought' to be done. But we mostly live by the rule. If I want to spend my time tinkering on tractors [b:fffa605bb8]and she reading a book that's fine. Works for us. [/b:fffa605bb8] gobble

That's my wife's plan: reading books (along with riding our horse). I think it'll work for us as well.

Tell your wife congrats!

Mine will retire this coming Feb. I'm dreading that! I'll have to see more of her :shock: :lol: ! That one is going to cost, maybe I can combine her BD and retirement party!

Rick

Don't try to get John T to spend any money this month. He is doing some legal work for me and I wish him to think he is so rich he should work for pennies. LOL You know he only comes home to work at his desk when he wants to make money for gas for the RV.

Maybe her muscles won't be tensed up since
she isn't working but maybe they will with
spending more time with you, or helping you! LOL

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back