OT WiFi Question

John T

Okay, when on the road in my RV my Laptop uses a 3G Virgin Novatel USB 760 Wireless WiFi Adapter. I plug it into my Laptops USB port and I have an internet connection and all is well. Now the problem, the first wife has a Kendall with an internal wifi which works great anywhere theres a wifi signal, HOWEVER I cant get my USDB wifi or my laptop to re transmit or whatever so she can pick up my internet connection. The ONLY wired connection on her Kendall is a mini USB port we use to charge it or transfer files etc.

Do I need some sort of repeater or wireless router and if so I'm unsure how to get my USB wifi thingy into it plus my laptop at the same time ???????????? The repeaters or routers Ive seen are fed via a cable modem or DSL phone modem and then use a LAN cable to the desktop while also transmitting a wireless wifi signal in the rest of the home for the wifes Kenbdall or other laptops in the home.

SO HOW CAN THE USB WI FI ADAPTER THINGY THAT PLUGS INTO MY LAPTOP FOR INTERNET GET A WIRELESS SIGNAL HER KENDALL CAN PICK UP????????

Lifes tough out on the road ya know lol Im sure yall feel my pain right???

Ol John T Somewhere in the RV near Brooksville Florida in the Withlacooche State Forest headed tomorrow to the Sertoma Youth Ranch Bluegrass Festival where the Grascals will perform woooooooo hoooooooo

it SOUNDS like your laptop actually uses a BROADBAND modem.. not a wifi adapter.

you *may* be able to setup an adhoc network. OR buy a router that has wifi built in.. cable plug the router to the laptop.. wifi link the tablet to the router IF they are capable of sharing an internet connection, thru DHCp or another protocal.

check the tablet.. it is going to be the limiting factor.

as a 3rd choice. your internet provider may let you upgrade to a 3g/4g broadband wifi adapter. just st it on the table turn on.. and ALL your wifi gadgets can talk to it ( depending on it's limit. some limit 4-5 devices )

Yeah I don't think a typical WIFI adaptor is going to turn around and rebroadcast an outgoing signal, you need something with wireless router capability to get that. I use a Verizon mobile hotspot for my internet service at home. If we go on the road, it can travel with us.

John,

You can probably trade your USB modem in on a WIFI hotspot that all of your computers can share.

It is called "Overdrive Pro" on their website.

OK now,
Is this a JD 24 volt system or 12 volt?
Is this AC or DC drive?
Does it have a magneto or distributor?
Have you asked a relevant Attorney in this area?

Just fooling with you John - Sorry couldn't resist.
Our Verizon Hotspot (WiFi) picks up just about anywhere.
Jim

It must be 24 Volt POSITIVE GROUND LOL
Its AC/DC swings BOTH ways
Mag that was converted over to a battery
powered distributor
This Attorney and Electrical Engineer has
already been asked grrrrrrrrrrrr

Take care Jim

John T

John, there are WiFi routers specifically for your purpose. The one I use is the Cradlepoint MBR95. It works very well with my Novatel USB760 which is running on Millenicom (Verizon) 3G. Get the optional 12VDC adapter and you'll have WiFi while you're on the road. I use it with my laptop, my wife's Android tablet, our WiFi-enabled TV, my Kindle tablet and my Android smartphone. It also has four ethernet ports, which I use for my desktop computer and other ethernet devices.

You just plug your 3G modem into the USB port on the router and turn it on. A few seconds later you have Wifi. I use an USB extension cable to keep the modem away from the router and in a good reception location.
Cradlepoint MBR95

I had the Novatel 760USB for a few years and it worked great with the Cradlepoint MBR95 router I(as the other poster stated). We used five computers, on line, all though that one USB stick. I then changed to the MiFi from Millenicom and it's been great. That Cradlepoint router works on 12 volts DC as I recall (with an AC adapter in the house). We only got rid of the Novatal 760 stick because it does not support 4GLTE that became availabe. The MiFi supports the 3G and the 4GLTE.

Since you're using a wireless wifi adapter which is a portable hotspot, you should be able to set up internet sharing on your laptop using the internal wifi card - assuming it has one. You can most likely find a yoo toob video to walk you through the setup.

John, I think this is what you need. It's called a "mobile hotspot" Picks up signal from cell tower and transmits wireless to computer. (The cord is for the wall charger) It should work with your laptop because your laptop probably has a wireless card installed. Find out by taking your laptop to the dealer where you got your USB unit and trade up to the wireless version.
Picture095_zps3b96e8f3.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back