Overloading truck w Tractor...sort of

(quoted from post at 07:57:00 07/25/23) Put the loader bucket on the bed, pick up the front of the tractor and tow it . Not a high speed haul, but 35 mph is better than 18-20.

60 years ago we used to do that.

You might be able to get away with it if you drive slow and be careful but you might consider the cost of damage to the tires, engine, transmission and suspension system. All total it might be cheaper to have someone better equipped transport the tractor.

Do you know the tractor and loader is 8500? Any extra ballast or weight?

I think your truck bed is also extra weight so you probably dont have the full 7500# for cargo.

You might be approaching 25% over weight. Im not sure Id be good with that.

Paul

48 Case ..... in reference to your reply saying to the OP ..... 'I'm not qualified to judge the capacity, but I am qualified to get amazed at how folks come here to ask advice then want to argue with the answers. You asked and several responded it was a bad idea, but you keep posting arguments in favor.'

You must be reading different replies than I am. Nowhere do I see Fargo doing what you are saying he's doing. Refer me to his reply where he is doing that when you get a minute.

you are correct I had a 3500 HD for a service truck, with a 9 ft bed , you could not get enough tools on it and welder and cutting touch to know you had anything on it, the only time I seen it sit level when I hauled a detroit 671 in it to a customer, a regular 3500 is no where close to an HD 3500

A 14k lowboy bumper pull.... will safely carry 9k of load if you have something to pull it with. But you might have a width problem if tires are set out.

(quoted from post at 18:29:08 07/25/23) I never argued a single answer. WTF is wrong with you Troll? Dont post if you want to tell lies.

Don't worry about 48 Case. He frequently has a different perspective.

(quoted from post at 18:48:20 07/24/23) Hi all.
Have a chance to get a Ford 545 low hours with loader. It is 90 flat miles away. My Chevy 14 foot flatbed 3500 HD is pictured as I was building stake sides last weekend and can carry 7500lbs as per the tag on the truck. The tractor is 8500lbs. Hence the question. Is the statutory load rating a conservative number? Can I transport this load ok safely? The frame is pretty beefy. Many thanks.

The tag on the truck is not "statutory" in any way shape or form. That is the manufacturer's rating for warranty and performance purposes.

The only thing statutory is what you have the truck registered for, and only comes into play if you are pulled over and weighed.

Take a look at the axle ratings on the truck. Add them together. They should add up to at least 2000lbs more than the GVWR.

My 2002 Chevy 3500 dually can haul 6000lbs loaded to the axle ratings and I would have no qualms about doing it.

In reality you probably CAN haul this tractor in the bed of your truck. Safely and successfully for that matter. The question is can you do it without looking like the Clampett family moving to Beverly Hills? A load that doesn't look like it belongs is going to attract more attention than one that looks like the driver knows what they are doing.

Normal law enforcement won't give you a second look if you are obeying traffic laws and the tractor doesn't look like it's about to fall off the truck. They are not responsible for enforcing DOT, and don't care about weights or proper tiedowns or log books or the mechanical condition of your truck, aside from what they can see from their car, and then ONLY if it is causing a dangerous condition for other motorists.

You also have the advantage of being NON-commercial, hauling your own equipment for personal use. That does ease some of the rules and regulations you need to follow, but it does NOT excuse you from operating safely. Just different people have different ideas of "safe."

You're not going to ruin your engine or damage your transmission, UNLESS they were on the verge of failure already. Sometimes I have to wonder... OMG you're going to blow up your truck! OMG you're going to get in an accident and get sued!

Let me tell you something, if you are in an accident no matter how you are hauling the tractor, you're going to get sued. Insurance has to cover you up to whatever limit you have, then they can drop you.

(quoted from post at 06:16:17 07/26/23)
(quoted from post at 18:48:20 07/24/23) Hi all.
Have a chance to get a Ford 545 low hours with loader. It is 90 flat miles away. My Chevy 14 foot flatbed 3500 HD is pictured as I was building stake sides last weekend and can carry 7500lbs as per the tag on the truck. The tractor is 8500lbs. Hence the question. Is the statutory load rating a conservative number? Can I transport this load ok safely? The frame is pretty beefy. Many thanks.

The tag on the truck is not "statutory" in any way shape or form. That is the manufacturer's rating for warranty and performance purposes.

The only thing statutory is what you have the truck registered for, and only comes into play if you are pulled over and weighed.

Take a look at the axle ratings on the truck. Add them together. They should add up to at least 2000lbs more than the GVWR.

My 2002 Chevy 3500 dually can haul 6000lbs loaded to the axle ratings and I would have no qualms about doing it.

In reality you probably CAN haul this tractor in the bed of your truck. Safely and successfully for that matter. The question is can you do it without looking like the Clampett family moving to Beverly Hills? A load that doesn't look like it belongs is going to attract more attention than one that looks like the driver knows what they are doing.

Normal law enforcement won't give you a second look if you are obeying traffic laws and the tractor doesn't look like it's about to fall off the truck. They are not responsible for enforcing DOT, and don't care about weights or proper tiedowns or log books or the mechanical condition of your truck, aside from what they can see from their car, and then ONLY if it is causing a dangerous condition for other motorists.

You also have the advantage of being NON-commercial, hauling your own equipment for personal use. That does ease some of the rules and regulations you need to follow, but it does NOT excuse you from operating safely. Just different people have different ideas of "safe."

You're not going to ruin your engine or damage your transmission, UNLESS they were on the verge of failure already. Sometimes I have to wonder... OMG you're going to blow up your truck! OMG you're going to get in an accident and get sued!

Let me tell you something, if you are in an accident no matter how you are hauling the tractor, you're going to get sued. Insurance has to cover you up to whatever limit you have, then they can drop you.

Barnyard, if you expect Fargo to believe your fairy tale you need to send him a legally binding notice of bonding proving your financial ability and willingness to underwrite his haul with his truck. You will have nothing to worry about right?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back