painting carb

tim(in)

Member
i had my d 17 carb m.s. rebuilt and i was debating should i paint it or leave it the clean gray color it came back from either sand blasting or cleaning? Should i use a gasket sealer on the gsket where it hooks to the manifold on my series one D 17?Thanks in advance!!
 
Tim,

I would paint your carb. If you don't, over time it will turn to rust brown. No, you don't have to use a gasket sealer to connect the carb to the manifold.

Wil
 
Some places you can find a paint that is called cast blast that looks like its just been sand blasted.Advance Auto has some wheel paint that is gray and real tough, looks like bare metal.I use it on carbs, rear axles, and belt pulleys.
 

I think I've seen that paint in a cataolg like Eastwood. I just finished going through my WC carb and in less than a week on the tractor it's getting a coat of rust. Did AC just paint the carbs and engine together after the engine was assembled?
 
I paint mine but always use lacquer(never could spell that word) paint because it is impervious to gasoline after about two hours drying time. Various enamels can be a year old and will still bubble if you get a leak just from choking to get started. You can get it in black spray at NAPA or less than $5.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top