Palmer Fossum's 8n Funk V8

Fras

New User
This message is a reply to an archived post by RICKWI on March 22, 2010 at 16:49:09.
The original subject was Palmer Fossums 8n Funk V8.

I saw the tractor couple days ago ,in Illinois

Palmer Fossum was one of the latter day pioneers of FORD TRACTORS, and one of the first to research and begin restoring the old N-SERIES models, starting with 9N-357. I had the pleasure of talking with him on the phone many times and meeting him in person in 2003.

trader-580-365-4429-1949-8N.jpg

Tim Daley(MI)

My son-in-law was at a farm sale a few years ago & got to talking w/an "old farmer" who said he had a "few" Fords. SIL told him I had some so the "farmer" invited him to bring me over some day & he'd show us around. Sadly I didn't take the time to do that until I went to his sale. I've always regretted that I didn't go earlier.

I live about 40 miles from where Palmer Fossum lived (south-central MN; he was east of Northfield). Many years ago I needed a starter drive for an 8N. I contacted him and he invited me to stop in to get one. He showed me his vast accumulation of old N's, and it was a sight to behold. I remember how thrilled he was to have just acquired a 4-cylinder flathead from a combine that he said would be a perfect fit in an N. The last time I saw him was when he had a couple of his tractors at the Le Sueur Pioneer Power show. Not long after that he died. His passing was a great loss for the old-tractor world.

I was out at Palmer's several times.
The first time I felt kinda guilty after getting the grand tour then only buying a pan seat cover and told him so. He said he didn't mind us 'tourists'.
Later I bought my first one armed loader from him. Was a wet, rainy day and he loaded it on my trailer with an 8N with a Dearborn loader.
Watching that old man clamber up the wet, slippery 3 point to get in the seat convinced me I would Never own one of those things.
I was at his auction when they sold everything off. By then I had gotten into the 3 cylinder tractors but I bought a correct 3 cyl front bumper which I still have. Auctioneer said there were people there from something like 11 countries.

In 1999, my wife and I went to LeSeur, Mn for the FFCA meet. We also got to visit Palmer at his farm and, somewhere, I have pictures of his many tractors.
For his auction, I drove with a friend from SE Michigan. RAIN!! I got stuck. Only bought the boggie wheels and hardware for the Arps half-track.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back