Pan seat repair ?

Two0aks

I thought I'd post here as there is a larger audience.

I've elecrolysis the NAA seat pan and it's in pretty fair shape, no cracks or break throughs except for pitting. Many replace no doubt, but there doesn't seem to be any that still use the clip on the bottom.

What I'm wondering is if anyone would attempt either Bondo or lead to fill pitting ? My first car 1941 Chev Coupe had leaded seams at the rear quarter panels and I'm wonder about heating the pan on the gas grille and melting lead wheel weights and splatter it on the pan. Bondo may work, but I don't think it would stick. Who knows. Maybe there is some old body man here that can offer advice. I bought a new Clip W/Rivets for the bottom. I could also melt lead and pour it on.
mvphoto87519.jpg

I had the same situation. I used red lead / body scratch filler. Basically thick primer. Much easier to sand, since you can wet sand it. Takes a lot of applications, but it came out great. Bondo would be more difficult to sand. Bondo will definitely stick. Lead would be a nightmare to sand, and the more lead in the material, the more dangerous sanding it becomes. Ya don't want lead dust in yer lungs.

Guess I should have done a little research before posting. But I'd still appreciate any additional ideas.

Watched and Eastwood video about leading. Complicated and not possible in my case to remove all impurities.

On the Wheelhouse forum it is suggested to use JB weld.
Still pondering.

Bill

Thanks graham.

Absolute easiest is just paint and buy a cover. But, as I mentioned in my earlier reply to myself, it seems JB weld may be the easiest answer.

I'm also considering a Muriatic acid wash to see if I can't get more of the black out. I know it's nasty stuff so a fan to keep fumes away.

Bill

This post was edited by Two0aks on 01/29/2022 at 10:09 am.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back