Part 2 of Gehl Film Clips From 1955 In Color

Absent Minded Farmer

Next up in the series is this gem. It has the tractor show clip in it's entirety, as well as the SP Chop All at work. And.... a chopper box & blower display with scrambled eggs?? Have no idea what's going on there. I thought it might be cotton seed with the fuzz on it, but they would be a ways away from cotton country.

It seems, according to the Gehl sign at the show, that this is near Wheatland, IA. Anyone in that area have info on a show from that time? And what make is that orange wagon under the sign in the thumbnail?

Thanks!!

&

Enjoy!

Mike

Next up in the series is this gem. It has the tractor show clip in it's entirety, as well as the SP Chop All at work. And.... a chopper box & blower display with scrambled eggs?? Have no idea what's going on there. I thought it might be cotton seed with the fuzz on it, but they would be a ways away from cotton country.

It seems, according to the Gehl sign at the show, that this is near Wheatland, IA. Anyone in that area have info on a show from that time? And what make is that orange wagon under the sign in the thumbnail?

Thanks!!

&

Enjoy!

Mike

Thanks AMF!
Both visually and audibly pleasing.

Very interesting video. I doubt they had enough hp to chop corn that tall that fast at the time. Wonder if they sped up the film some to make it look better. I know I can't chop corn that tall that fast with 100hp. I really like seeing those old films! Thanks for posting.

I wonder where they were when the chopping was filmed. I know there are no mountains around Wheatland or in Wisconsin for that matter like there are in the background of those films. As far as speed goes, the pull type chopper has its own power unit so that might make it possible for them to chop at a pretty good clip.

Dad had what I believe to be an older model chopper. It had the big LeRoi engine but I believe it was 1 row and it also had a direct cut head. He pulled it with a Farmall H. I don't remember him ever running it. I was born in '56. He later got a new Bearcat flail chopper when he bought the used 401 Case diesel. He also bought a new Gehl silo filler and new forage box just like the one shown, at the same time. Some time around '62. Before that he had a homemade rear unload box and a silo filler with the traveling table but I do not remember what brand it was....James

I wonder where they were when the chopping was filmed. I know there are no mountains around Wheatland or in Wisconsin for that matter like there are in the background of those films. As far as speed goes, the pull type chopper has its own power unit so that might make it possible for them to chop at a pretty good clip.

I’m guessing California or Colorado.

And as far as the speed of the travel, plant population was a lot lower in those days. Some of the side views showed plants a foot or more apart.

I know that direct cut head is a unicorn today, I have two FH 84's, a one row corn head equipped one has been here since new, and a pickup and select-a-cut feed transmission equipped one I bought at least twenty-five years ago, hoping to find a two row corn head and the direct cut head, as well as good condition factory built forage box, dad had bought two kits for the rear unload homemade box's. Would be nice to have a complete outfit to take to heritage shows.

The tractor running the chopper was an IH 300u. I was surprised when they filmed it from the front and it was 2 row chopper. I own a 300u and figured it would have enough power for 1 row, but I was impressed about 2 rows! I would like to have heard the actual sound of the tractor and chopper. Mark.

Uh oh! I think you're on to something. I'll have to make some info changes this evening.

Mike
I don’t know the Wilfahrt library verbatim but the band sound is there and the “whooping” that goes with it.
There were many out there doing the same thing and filling ballrooms. I sure Wisconsin had plenty of bands doing similar.
IMG_6644.jpeg

This band played Ma & Pa’s wedding. Mind you I only heard stories.

That 300 u was just pulling it all along wasn't it?
Can anyone ID that power unit engine on the self propelled and pull behind two row chopper?
I have a Waukesha XA222E from a one row Gehl but a two row would need much more power than an XA.
EDIT: Other videos show a Continental M363 doing the grunt work on the two row self propelled. Neat.
Oh! Great music! I got my fix of old time today. Thank you. Happy music for happy people!
Was that popcorn in the front unload box? Here Jim, grab a bag for the popcorn that comes out of the blower.

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back