parts washer solvent

jniolon

I've got a bench top safety kleen parts washer thats over 25 years old. It has a plastic tank under the sink and the pump just sticks down in the tank to pull fluid. Last time I tried to use it...no fluid out of brush. cussed it and figured the pump was gone. brought it in the shop this afternoon and disassembled it. Found the fluid was too low and about 1" of thick crud in the bottom of the tank. Poured off the fluid and I'm cleaning the crud out now...I filled it with 5 gallons of Super agitene in 1998 and what didn't splash out evaporated I guess (don't use it much)

So now I need new solvent... What is the consensus on what's best to use.. It's solvent based not water based so the pump will handle solvents

I know about mineral spirits but what else do some of you use... something that the smell doesn't stay with you for days and won't hurt my delicate hands :lol: The super agitene is 150 bucks for 5 gallons

john
mvphoto84091.jpg

This post was edited by jniolon on 11/04/2021 at 03:24 pm.

I use a citrus based solvent in my parts cleaner. Works good and no more bad odors. It is expensive though. I use it for presoaking stuff before pressure washing too.

I've had one just like that for 40 years. I bought it from NAPPA Auto Parts. I installed a small spin on oil filter inline
to keep the fluid clean. I use mineral spirits and wear rubber gloves. I try not to use it as a trash dump, and clean off as
much grease and dirt as I can, before I clean a part in it. The only thing I don't like about it is the lid comes to a
peak and you can't set anything on it without it rolling off.LOL

(quoted from post at 04:25:09 11/05/21) Varsol.

Whut he said... Ware nitrile gloves life will be good.. I have a few of the carts they set on, one I use for their brake cleaning machine I am not sure what I did with the others.

Transmission fluid does a surprisingly good job. When I do a fluid & filter change on my vehicles, if the old fluid is relative clean I save it for either the parts washer or the squirt
can of custom lube mix.

I have the exact same parts washer. I have had mine since about 1986. I just clean the tank out and buy fluid from tractor supply. Those parts were suPposed to be
swapped out with Safety Kleen. I always just replenished the fluid after cleaning the plastic tank. I had to make me a new filter setup.

(quoted from post at 23:09:17 11/04/21) I have the exact same parts washer. I have had mine since about 1986. I just clean the tank out and buy fluid from tractor supply. Those parts were suPposed to be
swapped out with Safety Kleen. I always just replenished the fluid after cleaning the plastic tank. I had to make me a new filter setup.

I'd love to see your filter set up..mine is without one right now

Used Varasol for cleaning machines to paint right out of high school. Worked good on everything but it will dry the hell out of your skin so wear gloves.

Diesel if you can stand the smell. Mineral Spirits/Paint Thinner/Varsol works too, but $$$. I've never found a water based solvent that works- at all.

I used to buy agitene at 40 bucks for five gallons . I moved away from that supplier and just use diesel fuel.Mine is outside and fire safe.

I don't clean parts all that often.
Not enough to justify upkeep and fluid
changes of an actual parts washer.
SO, I just make a throw away pan out
of an old oil jug or something, and
use gas. Gas evaporates quickly, so
you kind of have to work fast. But, I
prefer it over diesel because it is
cheaper, and does a better job in
regards to cleaning.
I am in no way recommending you put
gas in your parts washer. Don't do
that! It'll fill your building up with
flammable fumes.

For a filter on your parts cleaner. I used an oil filter adapter off an engine (don't remember what engine) They are
usually held on with 2 or 3 bolts and the spin on filter fits on it. On the back side of the adapter is 2 oil holes, drill
and tap the holes for 1/4in. pipe thread and install barbed fittings, and install in the hose between pump and outlet.

there is no way to plumb in an external filter since the pump pulls directly from the tank underneath it...no room. It used to have a little plastic bag with some filter media but can't find those any longer. so it's been without filter for about 25 years.

I did opt for the Crown solvent from Tractor Supply, got good reviews on WWW so we'll see. I tried to find a way to get the crud out thru the 2" fill hole and that was a disaster... so I cut the top out of the tank, cleaned it well and then patched the hole with sheet metal and black rtv. The patch is covered by the sink so no one knows but me...and ya'll... going back together this p.m.

john

If the cleaner is any good it will eat up regular RTV... Permatex makes RTV for gas and it works as advertised.

I have cleaned those tanks its a job : (

Well the tank patch sits on top of the tank and might get some sloshing but even so the fluid would probably evaporate or just seep back into the tank. I'll worry bout that at next fluid change in about 2040

I cut the hole 1/2" smaller than the sheet metal patch to give me a lip for sealant... and the bigger hole let me get in the tank good. I turned the tank up on its end and scrapped all I could the emptied about two cans of spray brake cleaner and let it set...everything slid down to the bottom and I just dipped it out

mvphoto84157.jpg

mvphoto84158.jpg

mvphoto84159.jpg

mvphoto84160.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back