Roller pump question

super99

I have a roller pump on a 3point sprayer that I want to use for water when burning CRP. I can only get 30 pounds pressure on the guage. I filled the tank and put neutralizer in it to clean it out. I pump most of it into an empty tote and then drove around the driveway to empty out the last 40 gallons and it worked ok. I rinsed the inside of the tank, probably 20 gallons in it and it won’t pump anything out of the nozzle. The tank sets above the pump so it has water to it but won’t make any pressure. I took the pump apart, are the rollers wore out? Do I need more water in the tank to get it started? I’m used to centrifugal pumps and can’t figure this one out. Thanks, Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2343.jpeg
    IMG_2343.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2349.jpeg
    IMG_2349.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2350.jpeg
    IMG_2350.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2351.jpeg
    IMG_2351.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 56
Excessive end clearance of rollers between end plates and / or a track worn in the end plates.
Every time the pump is allowed to rust up like that, rubbing the rust off each succeeding season increases the clearance until it will no longer pump.

Even in new condition, that roller pump will not produce either the volume or pressure that you need for fire control. As Fritz already stated, wear quickly causes excessive drop in performance in roller pumps. When used on sprayers, users are advised to avoid wettable powder formulations for that reason.

you need the tank full to get the pumps to pick up prime the quickest. i can only get a bit over 40 psi on mine. and with 40 gallons of water its kinda impossible to get them going unless you were pumping and only stopped it for a few seconds then it would pick up again. there used to be a roller kit you buy for them pumps. when you disconnect the 1 inch outlet hose and pump wide open they dont put out a lot of volume. basically only good to water trees, to fight fire no good. plus when storing them is is best to put some lube inside the pump to keep the rollers free.

I tried to look up a kit for it but didn’t have much luck, in short order anyway. Is that a “north of the 49th parallel” brand? Hypro is the US norm, can’t say if the guts will interchange.

In the system should be a pressure regulating valve you can increase or decrease it. Most roller pumps will run one garden hose with nozzle for fire suppression after that you would be quite limited. Also make sure any filters or strainers are not plugged. When done with roller pumps i put oil in them for storage.

In the system should be a pressure regulating valve you can increase or decrease it. Most roller pumps will run one garden hose with nozzle for fire suppression after that you would be quite limited. Also make sure any filters or strainers are not plugged. When done with roller pumps i put oil in them for storage.
exactly , as the roller wear u crank up the pressure , and adjust your pressure to the manufactures spec's for the weed spray.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back