Penncraft torque wrench

Ohio88

We have penncraft torque wrench. I cannot figure out how to adjust this wrench. We have been able to repair and adjust others but there seems no way to get at any adjustments on the lower end.

Torque Beam, or click type? 3/8, 1/2 or?

Penncraft was a tool line by JC Penny's back in the 70's. They were meant to compete with the Sears Craftsman homeowner grade tools, but generally weren't quite as good, in my opinion.

I have several Penncraft tools that were my Dad's.

If it is a beam type, I don't think you can adjust it.

I had some Penncraft, still have a few combination wrenches. I really liked the angle of box end on those. The 1/2 dr ratchet was the best I've ever used. Really small round head with fairly fine teeth and little backdrag. But it wore out in only 35/40 years. By that time Penny's was long out of the tool business. But, they told be to go buy a comparable tool and bring them the receipt! I did and they paid! Unfortunately, I bought a Napa version and it's not nearly as good.

The sockets on the other hand were way to soft and wore quickly in the most used sizes, 9/16, 5/8, 3/4.

I have a PennCraft click torque wrench made in 1973, according to the stamping. It is used everyday in my shop.

I have some JC Penny wrenches, they look like Snap On and seem to be very good quality. I bought them at Coomb liquidators in Minneapolis many years ago.

The majority of the Penncraft-branded wrenches, sockets, and socket drivers I've encountered over the years were badge-engineered New Britain or, in later years, SK's economy-line, Kraeuter.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back