Buying a Torque Wrench... First Time!

A very wise old timer once told me his first impact was a 3 lbs hammer and a wrench. That information has served me well even to this day when I counted 5 half inch battery impacts in the shop today times truly have changed but I’ll still use his trick from time to time. I’d save the money on the impact for now if there’s only one tractor to care for. It might take more time. Half inch when you have the money first. I’d buy a half inch click type pick your favorite name brand I’ve seen craftsman and snap on and dewalt all work fine there will be quite the price difference. I’d buy a 3/8 click type same answer. If you have wheel lugs that are fairly stiff and you want to use a 3/4 something that has appeared in the last couple years that I really like are the extension torque gauges. I have a super cheap harbor freight one that I used the other day on a 6115 rear wheel 400 foot lbs and front at 321. Worked great and I can use my ratchet and not buy a 1000 dollar torque wrench I think it was 60 bucks? So far so good on that thing it did a truck the other day too 450 ft lbs. I used to not like the electric torque wrenches when I was out in the field truck why would I want batteries to replace and go bad sitting all winter outside but if it is a 10th the price of a midrange 3/4 one and it sits in the heated shop can’t go wrong. I’m not sure I’d buy something like that on the smaller sizes I think I’d stick with the old school click type.

I literally picked up a 1/2" Makita 20v battery impact wrench on the roadside about a year ago, must have fallen off a truck going past. I,m guessing it's in the 400-600 ft lb category. Haven't used an air powered one since.

That’s what mine at my house is! Nice 300 dollar find!
It is a handy little beggar, plenty of snot for everyday use and, although I bought another battery, the one that was with it is still going strong! I won't be getting rid of the air driven ones, especially the 3/4 drives, but this little guy is really useful.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back