cuby

Member
When working on a tractor/machinery I get these calls, wipe my hands to answer and find out it is B.S.{Robo} calls. How does anyone else handle these types of calls??? No Call List does no damn good. You beg them to take you off their calling list does no good.
 
If its a cell, can you set it to be able to answer the call with your voice? I have had phones in the past where you could put a phrase in and then when you said the phrase it picked up the call.
 
If the phone number isn't in my contact list, I don't answer it. If it's someone really wanting to talk to you, they will leave a voicemail.
 
Seems most folks have gotten to where they let their answering machine answer ALL their calls, then if there's a real person AND if it's someone you want to talk to, then they'll pick up.

Some folks will only return calls -- meaning, even if it's their best buddy, if they don't leave a message, they won't talk to you.

As for the "lists", they do not and cannot work. Reason is, the robo calls can be set up to dial random numbers rather than targeting specific people. They may be set to dial like this:
555-9876
555-9877
555-9888
and so on...
 
(quoted from post at 18:42:00 04/25/18)

As for the "lists", they do not and cannot work. Reason is, the robo calls can be set up to dial random numbers rather than targeting specific people. They may be set to dial like this:
555-9876
555-9877
555-9888
and so on...

if they do so without checking the do not call list before dialing, they're breaking the law. it's not about the method used to select target numbers, it's about a willingness, or lack thereof, to check the list.

i don't doubt the reason it's so common is that enforcement is non-existent or toothless.
 
There's a website (below) called nomorobo that if your carrier is on "their" list ... works well. Follow the instructions on the site and all robo calls will ring once and then be diverted. I get several such calls per day.
https://www.nomorobo.com/
 
Most here does what we do. answering service takes the brunt of the calls.If the telemarketer doesn't answer the phone messenger the heck with em.Most try on the 1/2/hr and even hours so we just don't answer unless there is a legit message. It sure is a pain in he keester trying to get by without all the games people are put through.Doesn't look like the problem will ever go away.No teeth in the No CALL LIST LAW!!!!. Regards LOU & Victor.
 
I get the same thing here in my shop,, I try to answer every call because that is one of the ways the work gets here,,I keep a portable phone in the shop with caller ID,,if it's anonymous or no ID I kill the call,, I have been thinking about a large call ID display on the wall in my Hydraulic room so I don't need to wipe the oil off my hands to check it..
 
Years ago I got one of those overseas calls with a foreign voice about a grandson in trouble. My reply....lady I never had any kids. I own four cats......click.
 
Phone is a land line only in house and if do not know the number let it go to answering machine and that is set to answering only after 8 rings.
 
(quoted from post at 14:41:59 04/25/18) If the phone number isn't in my contact list, I don't answer it. If it's someone really wanting to talk to you, they will leave a voicemail.

That is exactly what I do. If the call is from someone in my contact list, their name will appear on the screen. Otherwise, I just ignore it.
 
I've been getting what would be local calls-same area code anyway and mostly from Verizon numbers. I've been calling the numbers back and the people that answer are shocked their number has been hacked for a robo call.
 
FUNNY how the elderly or kids think they need to answer the phone every time it rings!

I'm NOT a kid, and just short of being elderly, so I have no problem letting the phone RING and RING and RING!
 
The answering machine in the house answers all calls after two rings. It's a pain sometimes to come from the shop to the house to see if a call was valid, but I need the exercise.
 
(quoted from post at 15:08:36 04/25/18)
(quoted from post at 18:42:00 04/25/18)

As for the "lists", they do not and cannot work. Reason is, the robo calls can be set up to dial random numbers rather than targeting specific people. They may be set to dial like this:
555-9876
555-9877
555-9888
and so on...

if they do so without checking the do not call list before dialing, they're breaking the law. it's not about the method used to select target numbers, it's about a willingness, or lack thereof, to check the list.

i don't doubt the reason it's so common is that enforcement is non-existent or toothless.

When calls are placed from outside the US, then the lists don't matter -- they won't fall under US law. Their Caller ID number can be easily spoofed (faked) to make it look like a domestic number, your own number, or straight 0's.

You're right though, that enforcement is sorely lacking. I'm not so worried about that, as this is a crime of inconvenience. LE has worse folks out there to go after.

We have a cell phone, and rarely make any calls. Keep in mind that every time you do ANYTHING concerning applying for credit, subscribing to a magazine, ordering from an online retailer or mail catalog, or just filling out surveys, your number can be given out or sold/traded without your knowledge or consent, and it is again on the lists. It then takes time for your number to get off of these lists again.
 
I've posted this before, but o well. This is REALLY making a hugh difference in the amount of robo calls coming to our land line. On a number you know looks fake,pick up the phone, but don't say anything. (House has to be quiet) Wait around 15 seconds, if it's a machine, it will go to a "busy" signal. A human will of course say Hello a couple of times, but it's usually a machine. I think my number has gone into a huge data base, as "non valid." I'm getting about 15 percent of what I once did, or even less.
 
Dennis, I got the tip from my middle son, who writes code for a living. I never thought to ask where he got the tip, but it seems to be making a hugh difference!
 
i only have a cell phone. i only answer calls of those on my contact list. all others go to voice mail. if it is out of state of 800 numbers i add to blocked list.
 
It wouldnt surprise me if NOMOROBO was the one making all the calls. Just a million a month from 500,000 people adds up quickly Theres a guy a month or so ago on WTVT in Tampa Florida that did something that messes their game plan up. I cant remember his name though.
 
A guy I know fixes furnaces and air conditioning for a living. It's a small town, so most of his customers call him on his cell phone.
He has suddenly gotten a rash of robo calls and since people call him to have their HVAC fixed, he HAS to answer his cell phone.
I let suspicious numbers go to voicemail, he cannot.
I've posted about this problem before, and I've tried to think of cures for this problem. I've not seen a way to fix it except for one solution:
Every residential phone (cell or land line) has the option to become a 900 or a 976 number. When your number rings, your phone company puts money into
your account, money provided by the caller on the other end. If the phone companies HAD to, they could do it. When the caller has to lose a nickle or a dime
to make a call, the millions of robo calls that are made each day would stop.
Decades ago, when all long distance calls cost money, did we have the problem with spam and robo calls? You know the answer to that.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top