Photo upload size limit is now 7MB

cpratt

Administrator
Staff member
I had to use a method that the developers of this forum software say is not recommended, but I have photos up to 7MB working. Anything larger will still kick out the photo-is-too-large message.

I know most won't read this message, but I want to relate my experience in going through this. When I look in my folders with hundreds of my restoration pictures, I am unable to find any jpg, gif or png file that is larger than 1MB. Most are 200 to 300K and they look great. It was even difficult to test this problem because I just don't have photos large enough to violate any site's photo limit (I finally did find a 3.6MB photo to test with that someone sent me). The reason is that when I get a new phone, I find and turn off high definition in the camera app. High definition is not of any use on the internet unless you are taking a professional picture that can be expanded many times larger than will fit on your screen. If your high definition is left in the default state, you are wasting storage on your phone and computer, wasting time with long uploads, and wasting space on the places you put the photo.

The manufacturers of phones put this absurd high definition high when you buy a phone because the quality of photos a phone's camera can take is bragging rights for the manufacturer (so right out of the shrink wrap, the reviewer will say "I can blow this up 100 times and it's still not pixelated, what great phone this is"). But if you aren't a professional photographer, or don't know why you would need such bizarrely large density photos, they are just going to make you run out of space and have to buy a newer larger-storage phone sooner (not saying that is their intention, just that it's the result).

The makers of this forum software are being rational when they set the limits as they did, but they are not accounting for the fact that people don't know how to configure the devices they buy in their own best interest. Rational and practical aren't always the same of course. So as a result, the sites that accept these photos have to be able to accept files that are not rationally sized, it's the practical, wrong and chosen solution. I've once again, made that change on our server as I had to with the old servers and it worked. It's not a good solution, it's the practical one.

Bottom line here: if you are uploading a photo, getting an error about the size, it means you have a camera configuration problem. This does not apply to people who are pro or semi-pro photographers (of which there are some at YT), but they know why their photos are large and are doing it intentionally.

Man, you just explained that to me so I completely understand photo size. But it opened up the question: what blows up if its set to accept 7megs, if no one ever gets close to that?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back