Picture Of The Day Cute Radio

guido

My son gave it to me to install another antenna, he was not getting any stations.

I replace the 9 volt battery showing only 6 volts and it started to make noise. Still has poor station pull in power. I did fiddle with the red coil and got good volume, but only a few stations.

Even outside now has no chance. Anything I can check to improve it?

Here is the radio and the circuit diagram.... Thanks

Guido.

cvphoto160863.jpg

cvphoto160864.jpg

cvphoto160865.jpg

It has two hangers in the back like a picture frame and little shelves behind the doors.

Guido.

It is pretty basic. If AM only, and I think it is, the schematic shows a conductor going down to a dot at the far left. I would attach a 20 foot single strand wire (any gauge, and can be insulated) to that point and stretch it out. Jim

This is your typical 6 transistor AM radio as Lionel Cartwright sang about in his song, I Watched It on the Radio.

Not knowing your electronics background or ability, I will make simplify the process. Sorry if you are well versed in electronics. First, DO NOT TURN ANY COIL/CAPACITOR SCREWS ON THE RADIO. I know it is tempting but without proper test equipment you will not improve your reception on the entire AM band. That said, I would strongly recommend checking for cold solder joints from the antenna to the Printed Circuit Board (PCB). That is the coil of fine wire on the top of the radio. If needed, re-solder the joints with a low wattage solder iron & rosin core solder. If all is good, then check the RF amplifier transistor, Q1. An easy test if you have a volt meter, would be to check the voltages on the 3 leads of Q1. The voltage of Q1 between the Base (left lead) and the Emitter (bottom lead) should be 0.3 volts or 0.6 volts depending on if the transistor was made of germanium or silicon respectively. Could be either during the era when these were made. If the Base to Emitter voltage is 0 or more than 0.3 or 0.6 volts, I would suspect Q1 shorted or open respectively. The voltage between the Collector (top lead) and ground, I would guess to be over 4.5 volts but less than 9 volts.
My email is open

Hey Tony

Thanks. I know enough to let the smoke out. I tuned one AM radio with instructions from Heat kit.

That was in the 60's. I can test and replace board components. Signal tracing? nope.

I will let you know and certainly appreciate your offer.

I do have a loop am antenna, I may try that. But my garage-oven will not permit it now, thanks

Guido.
cvphoto160910.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back