bfullmer

Relative got older quad that needs a piston that is no
longer available my question is could a guy make one
on a lathe

(quoted from post at 13:23:25 09/29/23) Make, model, and year of machine would be most helpful. :wink:
With that info, and the old piston, you could probably find a current piston that only needs the skirt trimmed or the top milled off a bit, etc.

Yes a good machinist can do it. He can also take a cast iron blank and make the rings for it.

At a cotton mill I worked at ages ago we had an engineer/machinist who made pistons for a motorcycle engine he couldn't find. Our head machinist was experienced in making piston rings for compressors so he had him turn the rings. Probably half of that old motorcycle was parts he made in our shop.

If there is an existing worn piston with the quad, it might be cheaper to find a machine shop to install a sleeve in the cylinder.

There was an old machinist in this area that made a custom piston for his lawnmower pulling tractor. His son said he made it so close visually it was actually taken apart and inspected at one pull and nobody figured out it wasn't a genuine Kohler part. (Son said it had the piston pin offset, that is what made it special. It may have been oversize too.)

Did you try aftermarket sources?
Common for the dealer to quit supplying parts and aftermarket to pick them up.

X2!!! My money says something is available.
Unless you have your own lathe and mill to play with to do it you would would have far more in the piston than the machine is worth. And on top of that you would have no idea if the piston you made will have the right thermal expansion qualities and abilities to withstand the cyclical stresses it will be objected to.

(quoted from post at 09:23:25 09/29/23) Make, model, and year of machine would be most helpful. :wink:

+1

About like asking. "Does anyone know where I can get a camshaft for a truck?"

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back