Planting is in full swing around here!!!

JD Seller

The boys have not quit planting since last Saturday. We had a few showers around but they where spotty so they just moved to other customers fields. The planting tractors are only shut off for a few hours each day. Usually while filling them to check oils and fuel them up. With three sixteen row planter running they are covering some ground.

We have only planted 125 acres of our own corn so far. It is a little cool for me. That will change this week. The one "stupid" planter( less GPS stuff) will start on our corn this afternoon.

The finishing tractors are running hard to stay in front of the planters too. My oldest Grand Daughter is back in "Her" JD 4960. We "tuned" it up some over the winter so it will pull the Sunflower 32 foot finisher real well now. Different turbo, injectors and an air to air intercooler. Jumped the HP 75 or more. She says it is running cooler now than it did before. She told me last night she had put 135 hours on the tractor since last Saturday morning. Covering 15-20 acres an hour that is covering some ground. It is funny that she "likes" running that tractor so much doing field work she takes vacation and comp time to run it spring and fall. That tractor has right at 6500 hours on it and I bet that she has put 80% of them on it.

The boys say they are right at 1/3 done planning. They pickup a lot of custom farming and planning with the rent price going down. Many landlords are not going to lower their rents and are cropping the ground them selves. I think it is foolish with the crop prices.

I was able to lock in some better prices this last week but nothing like the last few years. I did get over $4 corn and $10 beans. Locked in about a 1/3 of what we think we will have. Have options on about another 1/3.

Hello JD! I dont want to start trouble,,,,(lol),,,,But,,,,,,some of the Case guys,(I wont mention any names) want to know why you dont post any pictures of your newly purchased Case? Or,,is your new handle Case Seller? ,,,, ( lol)

I finally got some ground worked yesterday here in NWIA after sitting five days and now it rained again this morning. Planted half my corn acres last sat-sun, had a shower last mon but was able to spray 175 acres of 32 percent, got .40" on tues and .90" on wed. Started working ground at 3:00 yesterday afternoon but some spots were sticky so i really should have stayed home. Did 80 acres anyway figuring i could get it planted today but when i stepped out the door at 6:00 this morn i saw lightning in the west. .13" so far this morn but they are talking heavy thunderstorms today and rain all week so it looks like i wasted my time and money working that 80 acres.

Planting is getting a good start here,too.I plan on starting next week.However,I'm still useing the superM and #70 planter.No GPS for me! LOL Last year I decided to go back to 4 row. IMHO,4 row waters better,more even because everyother water row is packed.8 row is becoming common here,but the majority is still 6 row.I was at 6 for several yesrs,but had water flow issues,4 row solves that. I gave up about half my crop(corn) ground this year. Landlord was chargeing too much money,wouldn't come down.I dont farm to pay HIS bills. The place is unrented today.Still wants his high rent.Maybe he will change his 'tune' if he has to eat the place for a year.I raise all nongmo corn now.I sell it to a nongmo chicken/egg producer. I get $1.00 premium per bushel.Makes a huge difference!A small 'nitch' market,Works for me!

Delta i had considered growing some non-gmo corn a couple years ago but the closest niche market is 125 miles away so there goes the bunus. A few guys had tried non-gmo soybeans around here a few years ago but the processor 50 miles away was rejecting too many loads so that ended it. I'm just stuck in an area that favors GMO corn and soys. I have nothing against GMO but trying something else will not pay out. We Iowans don't have a clue about what flood irrigation and water rights entails but we do know how to drain water away from our fields. That is the beauty of this site. We get educated by folks from other parts of the world.

I haul about 15 miles. A couple of young Mennonites started the chicken busness two years ago.Theyhave a nice top notch
facility. They are a pleasure to deal with! Another long term costomer buys 50 ton a year. He pays even better than the
Mennonites.He hauls his own corn.About 30 miles up into the mountains.Provides the truck anyway,I sometimes get to drive it.

Just a laugh but maybe he had to sell the JD to get a good CASE or fix one that wasn't so good? LOL!!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back