Plowing With Ole Ollie

Despite only a couple of inches of rain here in south Texas in 2022, I'm trying to moldboard plow in preparing the ground for planting oats this fall.
I wish I could post pictures. My problem is getting the pics from my cell phone to the screen on the computer or onto the Yesterdays tractors site.
The ground IS hard! I'm plowing with my Oliver 1850 and a four bottom 16 John Deere semi-mounted plow, so that's a bit over 10' per round. I'm usually in second gear, sometimes third, but occasionally first. My old neighbor says it's too much plow for Ollie by about one bottom. I'm trying to get the plow set up decently. I was able to get the three point arm adjust freed up so hopefully the plow can be a bit levelled up today. Today I'll try again. Believe it or not, there is a bit of moisture at the bottom of the swale in front of a terrace.
100 degrees here yesterday afternoon when I was out playing with the plow, but fun anyway, especially as my 78th birthday comes in a couple weeks.
By the way, I have bought one of those fancy steps to mount and dismount that ole elephant I nickname Ollie. I sure like her. It? Him?

I remember Dad trying to get the ground plowed up for wheat in the fall. Ground was so dry the plow wouldn't go in the ground so he had chunks of truck spring welded to the points. Worked pretty good, but some places had big chunks that had to be disced down. That was my job. LOL.

The four bottom should be just fine for the 1850. You're right, it's probably just setup and the ground. 2-3 mph target speed (2nd gear?).

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back