Plowing with the N

I'm looking in to buying a plow for my N. I
know they were designed for a 2 bottom
plow, but I have also seen a fair amount if
single bottom plows. Can anyone provide
some insight on to the pros and cons of
each? Thanks!
 
It may depend on what you are plowing and when. I grew up with an 8N and Dearborn 2-14 mounted plow plowing sandy loam soil. We also had a Farmall H with a 2-14 trailer plow. The N in 2nd gear and the H in 3rd gear were dead even plowing.
When I bought my current property, clay, I quickly learned that I had to watch soil moisture content to pull the Dearborn 2-14s. (The H was sold after my father passed away)
So, if you have clay, you may want the single bottom. It might take a little longer but less strain on the tractor (and the driver).
Either way, I strongly recommend either loaded tires or tire weights. My opinion and I'm sticking to it.
 
Most of it will depend on your soil.
My first tractor was a 2N with a good, strong engine. I put brand new Firestone rears on it. It would Not pull a Dearborn 2-14 in our clay loam soil.
I added wheel weights to it.
It still wouldn't pull it well. My furrows were shallow, ragged looking and I felt I was abusing the tractor.
So I found a Ferguson 1-16 and that was just the ticket in our soil.
It was a joy to plow with. It cut clean, it cut deeper and it rolled the furrows over perfectly.
Really made me proud of what that little old tractor could do.
 
I agree with everything said so far.
We have a variety of clay / clay loam's on out property.
The difference in "too wet" and "too dry" is so close that it is almost unpercievable.
In fact, plowing performance changes within a given field due to soil makeup and moisture.
Regardless, a 2 bottom plow in this type of clay is out of the question.
Our 8N or 9N work very hard pulling a 14" single bottom.
I recently bought a Dearborn 2 bottom disc plow but haven't tried it yet.
Old timers on the hill out here say the disc plow is the clear rig for our soil.
We'll see.
Anyone have experience pulling the Dearborn disc plow in clay soil with an N?
 
I had a Dearborn 10-80 disc plow.
I thought it would do better than a
moldboard plow for turning rocky, rooty
areas for dear plots as it rolls over
obstacles instead of getting caught under
them.
I thought it was worthless and sold it
after trying it a few times.
It did not cut deep at all and did not turn
the sod over well. Plot looked like lumpy
gravy. And, the manual says to shorten your
top link to its shortest length. It tucks
in real close back there. And the darned
thing swung over and bashed my fender.
I almost scrapped it right then and there
but sold it instead.
 
Like Kirk, I normally use 2 12's or a single 16 behind my N here in
my mostly clay soil. Depending on conditions. Both do well.
I think my 2x12 usually leaves a smoother result to disk down.

This pic is from 2012. That tractor is long gone but the plow is still here.

mvphoto65966.jpg
 
Soil decides if you use single or double plow. Here everyone uses a 2-14 plow. I have a 9n and that's what I use. I remove the calcium from my wheels. I have no weights. Can't see much difference.

I have a reprint of a Ford manual. It shows a steel wheeled 9n pulling a.three bottom plow. Must be really sandy loose soil.
 
Bingo, UD.

A good, properly ballasted, 8N with good tires, and working draft control will pull a properly set up 2X14 plow, but only in good soil and it will be happier with a 2X14 everywhere.

Soil not so good? Maybe a 2X12. If not a 1X16.

Dean
 

My 9N came with the original Ferguson 2 bottom plow and springer harrow.

It pulls that fine in New England loam that gets packed down if you go deep (hardpan?). No problem going through sod and flipping it over.
 
I'll only add to what the group has said - a 1-Bottom is good for a small garden/food plot area too. 1-Bottoms are harder to find and more in demand than a 2-bottom. I have a DEARBORN 10-156 14" 2-Bottom Plow complete with coulters to sell if interested. Email is open.


Tim Daley(MI)
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top