Plunger stop on NH 273

Tom in TN

Here's a crappy picture from the NH 273 parts manual of the topic they call Needle Yoke, Rod and Link. My plunger stop wasn't working and I did serious damage to my baler. I'm trying to make sure that the plunger stop is now working. It was hanging up when it should have gone into the chamber. The two parts on the diagram are items number 8 and 18. I'm trying to remove #8, the Latch service kit from the baler. To do so, I think that I need to remove #18, the pin that the latch pivots around. There's a cotter pin that goes through the Latch service kit and the pin. I've removed that cotter pin, but I can't get the Latch out of the baler.

The cotter pin goes through a sleeve that appears to be an integral part of the latch and then through the pin. That sleeve will not rotate, consequently, the latch will not go into the chamber to stop the plunger.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Tom in TN
cvphoto158767.jpg

cvphoto158768.jpg

I will refrain from scolding you for knowing your plunger stop was not working and going out baling anyway. C'mon man. After reading all the posts about plunger stop, you do it anyway. Okay, that being said you will have to heat it up. Then put a block under it and drive it out with a punch.

The reason you can't get it out is the same reason it didn't work. Ther is a grease fitting on it. You have to get under it to see. Should have a small decal depicting a grease gun on the left side main frame.

Mike, You are so right about the decal, I just never saw it before. I tried getting grease into it, but it won't take it. I removed the zerk and it is not plugged so, hopefully, I can get the plunger stop out of the baler and free up not only the stop mechanism but the grease fitting too.

Thanks for the tip.

Tom in TN

Thanks Flying Belgian. I assume that you mean I will need to drive the pin out after heating it. Is that tight? I assume I'm going to have to drive it up. There seems to be a collar on the actual stop mechanism that the pin goes through. It looks to me like the collar needs to be able to be free to turn but it won't turn. I believe that's the hang up on the latch.

Tom in TN

If it has to go up to come out it might be eairer to just use a jack as a press to push it out with heat on the sleeve. Don't heat the pin unless you want to wait for it to completely cool back down to remove otherwise you may swage the pin out tighter to the sleeve also use a punch pin about equal to the pin size you are removing diameter wise.

Thanks Caterpillar.

I have a small bottle jack that should fit under there nicely. I'd prefer the shock of hammering on it, but I'm not sure I could get much force in the swing of the hammer due to the relatively small space under the baler.

Tom in TN

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back