PN won't turn over

blackmagic

New User
My 9n won't turn over, when crossing the starter solenoid poles with a screw driver. The starter is good
and turns over with battery connected directly to the starter motor. The starter solenoid has two poles,
and there is 6 volts power to the pole on hot side of the solenoid. The cable from the other pole to
the starter motor is good and will turn the starter over with a battery connected to this pole. I
carefully cleaned all connections from battery to starter motor and still have the problem. I am stumped
as to why when connecting the starter poles with a screw driver fails to turnover the starter motor - not
even a whimper.
 
The 9 & 2N's did not come from the factory with a solenoid. They had a mechanical starting switch. Pressing the button engages a piece of linkage which closes the circuit.

Which is on your tractor?
75 Tips
 
That would make me scratch my head too. The only thing I can think of is you aren't making a strong enough contact with your screwdriver. The starter motor pulls quite a bit of current so needs a good positive contact. Your switch may be bad, this site has them. I've read that folks have epoxied a penny or something to the inside of the switch to give the start button link more throw.
 
(quoted from post at 11:47:44 05/24/21) My 9n won't turn over, when crossing the starter solenoid poles with a screw driver. The starter is good
and turns over with battery connected directly to the starter motor. The starter solenoid has two poles,
and there is 6 volts power to the pole on hot side of the solenoid. The cable from the other pole to
the starter motor is good and will turn the starter over with a battery connected to this pole. I
carefully cleaned all connections from battery to starter motor and still have the problem. I am stumped
as to why when connecting the starter poles with a screw driver fails to turnover the starter motor - not
even a whimper.

Lets see:
  • [*:fbcaf6ec34]Starter runs if you jumper hot pole to starter[*:fbcaf6ec34]Starter runs of you connect battery to switched pole[*:fbcaf6ec34]Starter does not run if you bridge poles with a screwdriver[/list:o:fbcaf6ec34]Only way that can all be true is if screw driver is not making a good electrical connection to both poles. Do you get a spark when you try the screwdriver? You should.

    TOH
 
(quoted from post at 12:39:34 05/24/21)
No, I don't get a spark.
f you had a voltmeter or small light bulb connected to the switch's battery pole then when you cross with screwdriver, I expect that the voltage/light would fall to zero. Bad connection between that pole & battery post.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top