Polarize generator TO35

The old tractor finally runs. Its' been 11 years. Do I need to polarize both generator and voltage regulator, as tractor is not charging. Tractor was converted to 12v many years ago. Also, it has always been positive ground. Can I change it to negative ground?

Hi, the 12 Volt system can be switched to negative ground polarize the voltage regulator battery terminal to armature, with key off

6 SLY PLACE has posted the procedure for polarizing an "A" circuit generator for you.

Voltage regulators do not get polarized. The generator is what is being polarized, not the voltage regulator. It is common practice to do the polarization, of the generator, at the regulator terminals where the battery and armature terminals are close to each other so only a short jumper wire is required. This is likely why some think the voltage regulator is being polarized.

If you want to change it to negative ground, you need to install the battery with the cables reversed from their positive ground positions, prior to polarizing the generator. The coil primary wires should be reversed on the coil terminals as well. If you have an ammeter, the wires on it will need to be swapped to the opposite terminal from the one they are currently on, or it will read backwards. The starter and lights (if you have lights) will not care about polarity.

You can change the polarity if you want.

Switch the polarity of the battery, then polarize the generator BEFORE starting.

If it still doesn't charge, open the regulator, file and clean the contacts with contact cleaner. Don't use sand paper, get a point file. It is a very thin file made just for dressing contact points.

If it still doesn't charge, try grounding the field post at the generator while running up to speed. You should get a small spark, the engine load, and the voltage across the battery go up. Do not leave it grounded any longer than to do the test. If no charge check the brushes, they may be dirty, stuck with mud dobber nests, clean the commutator with crocus cloth. Try polarizing again if the brushes were defective.

Those generators have a minimum rpm to charge, faster than idle.

I switched to the Denso mini hot rod alternator after I learned that when mine quit on me with the generator. Switched the tractor to 12v neg ground.

You'll need a 12v coil with internal resistor, 12v relay, delete the regulator, and alternator that has an internal regulator, and the battery. I didn't need a bracket mod for the alternator but I did replace the fan belt with the next size smaller as the one on there was worn.

The typical big Delco truck one wire alternator can be hit by steering arm excursions.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back