Pole shed garage door LVL header height

Jd44A_1

In the process of building a garage. Its a pole shed design with forteen foot sidewalls and twelve foot tall o/h doors. My plans tell me where to install the header which I already know where they go but having difficulty knowing the measurement from the top of floor which will be concrete to the bottom of the lvl header. To keep it tool related I am using my new Milwaukee 18 V impact driver. Thanks

My barn is also 14' sidewalls with 12 x 12 doors. My lvl headers went at the top of the poles just like all the regular 2 x 12s. They are there to hold the trusses up over the 12' span. I then used a couple 2 x 10s to frame the top of the door opening to 12'.

Figure out what Make & Model OH door you want & ask the seller what RO (rough opening) you need for the door that you picked out. Determine the height of your floor, make your RO off of that & set your header accordingly.

I don't know if it's right, but I can tell you what I did with mine. I made the rough opening the exact same size as the door. After the door is installed you can then trim out the door opening with 1X stock. After the 1X stock was nailed on, I covered it all with coil stock, then added the door seal. Here is a hint. If you plan to sheet the inside of your shed, do the area around the door before you put the door up. Otherwise you will have to take it all down and reinstall it again. Trust me, I know.

Just to be clear, the LVL girders are to support the roof trusses, not the door. Assuming you specified door openings when you ordered the building, you should have extra lumber for the door header. I suppose they could supply LVL beams, but that would be overkill given that the door header doesn't support much weight. I would expect 2x8s, 2x10s or 2x12s, depending on how wide the door opening is.

When you order an overhead door, you specify the FINISHED interior door opening. (The door itself is slightly larger than the opening.) If you order a 16 foot wide by 12 foot wide door, you'll need to make the rough opening slightly larger than that to allow for the door trim. Assuming your door will be trimmed with 2x lumber, the bottom of the door header should be 12'-1.5" above the floor. And the door posts will need to be 16'-3.0" apart. (Needless to say, it will be MUCH trickier to set the posts where they need to be than to set the door header.)

Put the header at the top, where it belongs. That will give you time after the floor is poured to 'frame down' to the rough opening. Sooner you get the roof on is best. You can fill the hole after the is floor placed. HTH

Hi Mark. My doors are going to be a 16 wide x 12 ft tall. So, if I understood what you said is that I set the bottom of the LVL header at twelve foot or 12ft 1.5 inches above the top of concrete floor.

(quoted from post at 14:32:44 08/07/19) Hi Mark. My doors are going to be a 16 wide x 12 ft tall. So, if I understood what you said is that I set the bottom of the LVL header at twelve foot or 12ft 1.5 inches above the top of concrete floor.

NO! Set the top of the LVL to the same truss bearing height as the rest of the building. You can frame whatever you need to get to the proper rough opening height later on under the LVL.

Ok. I will do as you say. That sounds like
a good idea instead of doing it twice which
I hate !!!! Thanks again for the tips....

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back