post restoration question

Anonymous-0

Hey Guys,

Finally got the JD MT back from the painter, it looks beyond great. I really appreciate all of your help and assistance with the painting feedback and details; it truly paid off speaking with you guys- i will post some b4/after pictures soon.

Since i do not have a total weather-proof place where i can store her, wanted to seek your advice on how to best protect/maintain the newly finished look, prevent rust and major condensation? It is in a woodshed that is covererd from rain/etc., but is subject to temperature fluctuations, some dust/wind and the for sure mud-daubers. Would some type of car cover work best? I know these type of questions are not glamorous, but after 4+ yrs of work, your suggestions would be greatly appreciated to keep her looking new...i do pull the battery after each use and turn the gas off. Have a great one guys.

Thanks in advance,
tstex

Once the pint is cured enough to wax it, do so.

I've found that tarps and covers that set right on the paint will abraid it if you get much wind. However.. i have seen some super soft flanel storm covers for tractors that can be made to fit pretty snug... so this may still be n option for you.

Soundguy

A cover will probably do more harm than good, inside or out. You can get condensation under it. Just wash it and wax it occasionally, wait a few months before 1st waxing.

how bout making a framework out of 2x2's and 2x4's, the cover it with like a heavy visqueen roll of plastic. make it big enought so you can drive the tractor in and the close the end off. you can get tricky and make a set of hinge doors. i have seen inflatable car capsules for storing classic cars, they are plastic inflatable garages basically, but they are pricey. you could also get some of those plastic tarps from home depot, staple one to the cieling, and then use the rest to make a curtain around the tractor, it should keeop the dust down.

Guys,

Thanks for the insight and feedback. My main concern are the mud-daubers - they fill any little hole, crevice or the like with this white substance that is so hard it will remove the paint to get it out/off...when i cover my lawn mowers with an old bedding sheet, they seem to leave it alone...dust is not as big an issue as the insects - sorry for such a mundane topic, and i appreciate your help gentlemen.

Thanks,

tstex

we go on vacation once a year to arkansas for some fishin, drinking , cigar smokin and snoozin. they have mud dauber problems with the outboard motors, they build nests under the cowling and the dust gets sucked up in the motor. they spray wd-40 on the inside of the motor cover and it keeps em out. maybe you can rig up something or shoot a little wd 40 here and there.

I know all about those dirt dobbers living in East Texas.

Im in the nursery business and was thinking you might try shade cloth to keep the dobbers out, like we use to cover greenhouses. You can order it in any size and several differant amounts of shade. You can get it with gromets if you want to tie it down but I dont think you would have to in a shed. I would still cover it with something real soft first then use the shade cloth.

Theres also wasp traps but I dont know how good they would work on dobbers.

Dobbers arent going to be a problem during the winter so you have time to think on it I guess.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back