Power back on - only 15 hours

RayP(MI)

Holy weather extremes, BatMan!

We had probably record setting snow depths for this early in the season. Was at least 2' in the fields. Snowbanks in my yard were equivalent to late January/February. My plow truck is in the shop, (starter broke, damaged the fly-wheel). So. I've been trying to keep up with a Farmall 200 with a back blade - loosing the battle! Friday night, and Saturday we had a warm front move through, Inch and a half of rain, warm winds - fog you wouldn't believe. Almost all the snow completely gone... Early this morning, backside of front came thru. Winds to 50mph. Temperatures dropped like a stone. Massive power outages. Called in, and good old Consumer's Power - estimated repair time 12:30pm TUESDAY. Automated message, you can't even scream at them.

I've come up with a slogan for Consumers to use.

"Consumer's Power, your fair weather friend."
Since they're short on maintenance, and system upgrades, I think it fits. Every time we get a bad storm, it's time to drag out the generator. Burned about 5 gallons of gas just keeping water, heating and refrigeration going today. Don't get much done besides chores when you're baby-sitting a generator. Funny how the animals expect to be fed and watered whether the power is on or not.

Stole the following from the WOOD TV (Grand Rapids) website:

"GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - More than 117,000 residents across the state are still without power after flooding, storms, and strong winds broke down trees and damaged power lines.

Consumers Energy told 24 Hour News 8 that additional crews from Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee will assist with restoring power as soon as possible.

All customers who do not currently have power should expect to have service restored by Wednesday, but additional wind activity could extend restoration time frames.

The Red Cross is providing a warming station for those still without power. The center was opened Sunday afternoon at 1050 Fuller NE. Coffee and snacks will be provided.

Even though strong wind gusts died down this afternoon, blustery conditions Sunday morning caused problems statewide. As of 5:30 p.m. about 117,000 Consumers customers are still without power. In West Michigan:

Allegan 3,500
Barry 3,300
Branch 600
Calhoun 3,200
Ionia 5,700
Kalamazoo 3,100
Kent 14,000
Montcalm 4,200
Muskegon 1,100
Newaygo 1,000
Ottawa 2,100
In addition, the wind storms caused power outages for more than 5,000 Midwest Energy Cooperative customers. These customers have mostly been restored as of 1:45 p.m. Officials with the Cooperative say all services have been restored..

In Van Buren County, residents of the Village of Lawrence are being asked to reduce water and sewer usage as the system is currently running on generators and is having trouble keeping up."

We didn't lose our power, but some people a few miles away did. There must have been some interesting wind patterns today. I saw one field that had 20+ trees knocked over. Next field, no damage. Several trees down on my road, none on power lines.

On the Kent/Newaygo county line it just blinked at about 2 AM, been fine ever since. I was going to go down to GR today, maybe a good thing I didn't.

No significant damage here in Branch County around me. Did lose about 12 shingles on the house roof, but got them repaired this afternoon. Man, did that wind get your attention about 4:00 am. Hope the rest of you guys are doing OK.
Paul

Ray our power did not go off. I was very shocked because I was sure it was going to. We are over in Gratiot county and get our power from Tri-County Electric in Portland. That weather was outrageous. Between all the snow melting, the fog, the rain. I had a sump pump coming on every ten minutes. Not coming on hardly at all today. Maybe once per hour. We have been stacking snow on top of snow. I was losing that battle. Everywhere there was snow piled it had massive amounts of water. Today the majority of it's gone. I didn't sleep good at all last night because I thought I was going to have to go out and drag out a generator at 5am to run the furnace and sump pump. Power outages are horrible. We didn't suffer any wind damage that I can see.

Osceola county near the Wexford county line never lost power. The winds were incredible!!
I had spent the last week moving snow banks back on our 4 driveways (mine and families) with the 4WD Case and FEL. Guess I could have saved the fuel as there is only snow now where I piled it!
Looks like we get to take a deep breath and start our snow moving operations over. I hope everyone gets there power back soon.

9hrs here and we are 4 to 25 miles from the generating plant. Winds even took the new local FM radio broadcast tower down.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back