Power beyond Plug

Kcavery2019

New User
I have a 1965 Case 530CK. This machine is relatively new to me. It came with a 3pt Kelley backhoe that originally was ran off a hydraulic pump on the pto. The farmer before me welded something on the pto shaft and gumped it up pretty good. Under the impression that the factory backhoe on this machine was run off the hydraulic pump up front, I figured I'd do the same with this 3pt backhoe. I followed my service manuel and tried replicating the plumbing for this setup, connected the 2 reservoirs and blah blah blah... after connecting the backhoe to the loaders control valve where it is supposed to go, I lost hydraulics on the loader and the backhoe doesn't work either. Closer inspection of my manuel references a "power beyond plug" that needs to be added to the loader-only models for a backhoe setup. Does anyone know where to find this plug or have one? Without this plug would I also lose loader function just by adding in the backhoe? I'll add pictures if anyone wants em. Thanks a lot,
Happy tractoring

Upon some further studying, I believe my system is called an open circuit? So the hydraulic fluid is constant flowing through the control valve and returning to the reservoirs, including the backhoe control valve... so... I no longer have front loader function because there is no pressure being built, and the hydraulic fluid is taking path of least resistance, through the backhoe into the reservoir, and vice versa. Hopefully this power beyond plug will fix this up once I find one. Can anyone confirm if I'm on the right path?

I don't know your machine, but your description of the situation makes me think you tied the pressure line to both valves together (like with a tee) and now nothing works. You do need a power beyond sleeve/fitting on the outlet side of the first valve in the series. You cannot use a tee on a pressure line with open center. (if that's what you did) The flow must go through one valve, out the other side and on the the next one.

I don't know your machine, but your description of the situation makes me think you tied the pressure line to both valves together (like with a tee) and now nothing works. You do need a power beyond sleeve/fitting on the outlet side of the first valve in the series. You cannot use a tee on a pressure line with open center. (if that's what you did) The flow must go through one valve, out the other side and on the the next one.
I didn't tee off the pressure line of the control valve. The backhoe line is hooked up where it is supposed to be on the control valve, but I think without the power beyond plug I'm getting the same results as if I DID tee off the pressure inlet. What seems to be different about this control valve than others is the backhoe line has its own port, and the power beyond is a plug(right now mine has a regular plug in this spot, not a PB plug), as opposed to other versions where the hydraulic line would connect to the PB port. Appreciate your response.

So you only only have one line going to the loader valve? As in the return must be internal and just dumps into the tank in the frame? If so, then yes, you need the right plug or you basically have a tee in the system whether you want it or not. I think I understand now, but have no idea what the part is that you need.

So you only only have one line going to the loader valve? As in the return must be internal and just dumps into the tank in the frame? If so, then yes, you need the right plug or you basically have a tee in the system whether you want it or not. I think I understand now, but have no idea what the part is that you need.
Kind of, yes. The loader control valve has the high pressure line from the pump(which we think is internally "tee'd" right now to the backhoe), and leaves the valve body through a 1.5" line to the filter, then directly into the frame. The 1.5" line is all low pressure held on with hose clamps. Thanks for putting some thought in for me I think you're right. I've attached a picture from my service manuel hopefully someone knows where to find this part, I think it's discontinued at the dealer.. time will tell.

Attachments

• 20240504_161227.jpg
    20240504_161227.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
I've seen the concept before. The fitting is probably already in there. It just needs a plug threaded into it. Start removing fittings on that side of the valve body and look into the bores they came from. Most likely the part will have a hole tapped for 1/4" pipe or something common. Fill the hole and put your backhoe feed line back as it is now. It will probably work.

You're gonna need the right plug, no tapped hole inside for Harry's solution. The farmer that mounted my Warner and Swazey hoptoe on my 310E crawler/loader tried teeing of the pressure line from the pump and you now know how far that gets you with an open center system. That's when I decided to teach myself some basic hydraulics. The resulting #12 high pressure carry-over line you install MUST at all times when running be routed back to tank or things will explode/break so you'll need a return line (preferrably one size larger) teed into your tank return line. I use quick-connect fittings for the hoe so I can just reconnect the lines back on themselves when the hoe is off. I can show you pics of my setup later.

In my partsbook it's Part # D25783 PLUG - special, high pressure carry-over (Backhoe models only)

The appropriate valve ports have identifying stamps beside them.

I replaced the control valve on my machine when a spool came apart but pretty sure I kept it just for that plug. Scarce as hen's teeth. I'll see if I can round it up and find the right O-rings for it. I will want something for it but will try to be reasonable. See if you can find my email somewhere in my profile or leave your contact info there and I'll try to get you fixed up.

You're gonna need the right plug, no tapped hole inside for Harry's solution. The farmer that mounted my Warner and Swazey hoptoe on my 310E crawler/loader tried teeing of the pressure line from the pump and you now know how far that gets you with an open center system. That's when I decided to teach myself some basic hydraulics. The resulting #12 high pressure carry-over line you install MUST at all times when running be routed back to tank or things will explode/break so you'll need a return line (preferrably one size larger) teed into your tank return line. I use quick-connect fittings for the hoe so I can just reconnect the lines back on themselves when the hoe is off. I can show you pics of my setup later.

In my partsbook it's Part # D25783 PLUG - special, high pressure carry-over (Backhoe models only)

The appropriate valve ports have identifying stamps beside them.

I replaced the control valve on my machine when a spool came apart but pretty sure I kept it just for that plug. Scarce as hen's teeth. I'll see if I can round it up and find the right O-rings for it. I will want something for it but will try to be reasonable. See if you can find my email somewhere in my profile or leave your contact info there and I'll try to get you fixed up.
Yes I did tee in the return lines. You are the man! The part# you listed I believe is correct from what I found online. I will find your email when I have some time today. Appreciate you.

No sweat, if you're patient we'll get you set up!
I found a guy on fb marketplace who had an identical case loader parted. I managed to snag the entire 2 lever loader control valve for 100$! One that originally had the backhoe tied in, so it should have this power beyond plug. 4 hours of driving later I got it all home. Once I have the time I will post some pictures and report back if it works. I may have gotten lucky to find one within 24 hours of starting my search! Thanks Wilbury, I will keep you in mind!

Excellent! Just as well 'cause I'm having second thoughts about letting it go. I've the same series control valve on my hoe and I just may want that plug to power another valve for a thumb. If you strike out, let me know, and I'll measure this one up so a good hydraulic shop can make you one.
The large O-ring is a regular Dash 12 size ORB o-ring and the small one is Case part # 238-6019 (0.07'' Thk x 0.801'' ID, -19, Cl 6, 90 Duro).

Last edited:
Well I had some time to tinker today. Added the power beyond plug, I had to try some different things to get everything working. Originally I had tee'd the reservoir on the 3pt backhoe to the tractors reservoir. For some reason all the fluid would build up in the 3pt and wouldn't flow correctly back down to the tractor rendering all hydraulics inoperable. So I deleted the 3pt reservoir, tied the backhoes return directly to the loaders, and lo and behold she came to life! Instantly blew a line on the 3 pt, as I was expecting she's in rough shape. I think every cylinder leaks lol! Loader now works a little slower as well. Maybe because the return line on the backhoes control valve is smaller? Don't know, still figuring it all out. Just wanted to put an end to this thread and hope someone can learn or use it in the future. Cheers to success! Well sort of haha. Here's some pictures

Attachments

• 20240506_192426.jpg
    20240506_192426.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240506_192409.jpg
    20240506_192409.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240506_192351.jpg
    20240506_192351.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 20240506_192321.jpg
    20240506_192321.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 20240506_191528.jpg
    20240506_191528.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
I have a 1965 Case 530CK. This machine is relatively new to me. It came with a 3pt Kelley backhoe that originally was ran off a hydraulic pump on the pto. The farmer before me welded something on the pto shaft and gumped it up pretty good. Under the impression that the factory backhoe on this machine was run off the hydraulic pump up front, I figured I'd do the same with this 3pt backhoe. I followed my service manuel and tried replicating the plumbing for this setup, connected the 2 reservoirs and blah blah blah... after connecting the backhoe to the loaders control valve where it is supposed to go, I lost hydraulics on the loader and the backhoe doesn't work either. Closer inspection of my manuel references a "power beyond plug" that needs to be added to the loader-only models for a backhoe setup. Does anyone know where to find this plug or have one? Without this plug would I also lose loader function just by adding in the backhoe? I'll add pictures if anyone wants em. Thanks a lot,
Happy tractoring
It is not a plug you need but a power beyond valve. if you need one i do have one for sale. jc It goes in your Loader valve. jc [email protected]

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back