Power Loss - Governor Trouble?

Brad LA

New User
About 1 year ago I bought a 1950 8N with a side distributor and 12 volt conversion. The tractor has run pretty good until about a month ago when it began losing power under load, particularly when engaging the pto. Today, it would barely move in first gear at full throttle.

I had the gas tank cleaned over the winter, but not resealed. Yet, I still routinely clean small rust flakes out of the sediment bowl. After the power loss began, I had the carb rebuilt by GB, who did an excellent job. He said that when he first opened it up, the inside of the carb was covered with a dry yellow powder. I think he posted the issue on here. Today, I installed the rebuilt carb and a new manifold gasket. It took a long time for the tractor to warm up before I could use the throttle without it dying. Even then, throttle response was extremely slow, even when working the carb by hand without being connected to the governor. I have good gas flow out of the bottom of the carb, good spark, and good air intake.

About a month ago I bought a 6' finish mower, but the tractor could barely run it at full throttle in first gear. That day the tach quit working and the power loss problem began, which progressively worsened until the tractor became unusable. I replaced the tach today along with the other items, but the new one doesn't work either, even though I confirmed the tach cable is spinning when the motor is running.

I'm beginning to suspect the governor, but I really have no idea what's going on. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
 
if you can't throttle it up manually.. well.. you know it isn't the governor.

start looking at spark...


sounduy
 
A fuel flow issue is FAR more likely than a governor problem.

If a governor fails, the engine tries to OVERSPEED.

ONE exception to this would be a sticky throttle linkage, which you can check for, engine "OFF", throttle just above slow idle... grab rod between governor and carburetor and verify that it moves freely though the carb butterfly shaft's range of motion.

Oh, yeah, it wouldn't hurt to check for a restricted air intake system or a clogged exhaust system also.
 
Sounds to me like it is not running on all four for some reason. They do run pretty good on two, but with no power. I would run it in the dark and watch for a light show around the plug wires and check the cap for carbon arcing. Check for spark at all 4 cylinders. Assume you have already checked for fouled plugs.
 
I would start looking for a dead cylinder(s) by running it and taking one plug wire off at a time starting at the front. If you pull one off and it dies or changes rpm then move on to the next cylinder. When you find the dead cylinder(s) there won't be a change in rpm or sound. Look at the spark first and you will probally find that you have a fouled plug(s). If all cylinders are getting spark then I would move on to making sure the carb is adjusted and if there is still no change check compression. These little wonders on wheels will run fairly well on 3 cylinders.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top