Power reversing transmission would not engage on angle

A couple of weeks ago I was clearing some snow with my 4500 industrial Ford. I got up onto a hill with my front up and my back down. It was probably only 20 after dumping my load the power reversing shift would not shift into reverse or forward. I had to use my bucket and my backhoe to pull myself down to level ground so that it would shift. I have not been on a steep grade since then and it works just fine. I don t want this to happen in the summer when I m moving dirt. Does anybody have a recommendation. Thank you.

(quoted from post at 13:31:56 02/18/23) What rpm were you trying to shift at and how is oil level? The blocker pins wont let shift be made above 1100-1200 rpm

Thank you Xiong. I was at low idle. It appeared to be strictly related to being sitting in an angle. Once I push myself down to level ground, it shifted just fine. I did check the hydraulic fluid up in the front of the engine where the breather tube, and Dipstick are found and I have plenty of fluid. It is above the normal line. My shift lever by the way is very sloppy and it is difficult to find neutral sometimes. The mechanism within the tractor appears to work well but the details that hold it into forward, and reverse, and neutral, seem to be worn if there is such a thing. it never pops out of gear though thankfully

(quoted from post at 09:28:55 02/19/23)
(quoted from post at 13:31:56 02/18/23) What rpm were you trying to shift at and how is oil level? The blocker pins wont let shift be made above 1100-1200 rpm

Thank you Xiong. I was at low idle. It appeared to be strictly related to being sitting in an angle. Once I push myself down to level ground, it shifted just fine. I did check the hydraulic fluid up in the front of the engine where the breather tube, and Dipstick are found and I have plenty of fluid. It is above the normal line.

If I understand you correctly, you checked the hydraulic fluid reservoir for your loader. Your transmission does not share oil with your hydraulic system. Your transmission fill plug is located in your transmission top cover next to your gear shift.

YT doesn't allow me to post competing web sites, so search:

https://www.messicks.com/commoncatalog?vendor=nhc&modelId=130451

Go to transmissions. Page 07U01. Part No. 7. Should be the plug you remove to check transmission fluid level.

If your oil is milky, it may have ice in it and/or be a little thicker than you pickup screen can handle at an angle. Could be (as Shaun) said, your blocker pins aren't getting fluid. To be determined after you check your fluid level. Could be your linkage has extreme wear. Failure to go into reverse can be caused by linkage wear. One thing at a time. First check your fluid. More later.

This post was edited by Check Break on 02/19/2023 at 09:36 am.

I am on it. Thanks. I will let you know about the level. I am glad that you guys don't laugh at these questions. It felt like a fluid level problem. I hope it is.
Peace.

There's no laughing because we were all where you are at one time or another. Ask away. One of these days you'll know your 4500 inside out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back