power steering pump problems

vt joe

My 1968 3cyl diesel power steering pump is the original one and I think the drive shaft seal is done and dumping fluid into the motor by way of the front cover!
I am losing PS fluid and motor shows over full! I have shopped for a new one and the only thing that bothers me is I don't see the dent in the reservoir for clearance for the generator mounting bracket. There is one available here and I have seen some made by Tisco.. and of course the pressure is 1100 instead of 650. I would appreciate any thoughts the brain trust may have about this.

forgot to mention that I found a place called Cross Creek Tractor in Alabama that has pumps and other parts

I purchase from Cross Creek Tractor in Alabama regularly. I'm in GA so I usually get parts fast. No complaints with their service.

A new seal kit will work for a while. but if the pump shaft or bearing is worn, (as they usually are) it will soon come back, as the shaft will wobble from the wear. The old seals are 40 years old or more, and very hard and do not tolerate any wobble, where a new seal is more compliant for while....?? maybe couple of years?? or more?? So try it and if it lasts 4 years or so,nothing lost.

If you take the pump apart and find it's genuinely JUST a bad shaft seal, then go ahead and reseal it. However, I don't think I've ever witnessed that. Usually they've been run low/dry and the bearing blocks are.... shot. Reseal will do no good on that.
I can't say with certainty about the clearance issue you mention, but I suspect it's not an issue. Those pumps are all pretty much the same in terms of dimensions. Assuming you have a pump with integral reservoir, worst case you'd just swap the reservoir from the old pump. However I don't believe that is an issue. The pump I see listed on this site as it's pictured is just sitting on the relief side of the reservoir.
The relief pressure can be adjusted by removing the relief valve and taking a shim out, if you want. I probably wouldn't fret too much about the difference.

The

E6NN3K514DA is the pump you need
Google search found several places that sell them
The 1100 psi pump is for the 70/later 5000/7000 models
You can remove shims to the pressure relief to lower the pressure and use that pump, but using it as is could cause the steering cylinders to bend
I bent the ram on a new steering cylinder 15 minutes after it was installed due to a stuck pressure relief in the pump

Edited: I'd been working on a different hydraulic system where you shimmed the cap to lower pressure
Correction made

This post was edited by Destroked 450 on 07/26/2022 at 05:22 pm.

If the tractor still steers good when the oil gets hot then I'd say go with the seal kit. Conversely, if it gets hard to steer as the oil warms up, scratch the seal kit idea and get a new pump.

(quoted from post at 08:14:58 07/26/22) add shims or remove shims? to lower pressure

You would remove shims to lower the pressure on the original pump. Unfortunately, as some have reported here recently, some of the new after market pumps that are available no longer use shims and simply rely on the spring installed at the factory to provide the 1100 psi relief pressure and they cannot be adjusted. Before buying a new 1100 psi pump, contact the seller and make sure that it can be lowered by removing shims.

All that you said is that you have a "1968 3cyl diesel". You did not mention a specific model. If it is a 4400 or 4500, then it would have had an 1100 psi pump so the pressure wouldn't be a problem. If it is a 4000, then it would have had an 850 psi pump originally. Only the models with the dual steering cylinders (2000 and 3000 series as well as the 4110 (4000 LCG), 4140 (4000 SU) and 4410 (4000 Woods) models used the 650 psi pump, so be sure that you know what psi rating you actually need before trying to go for 650 psi.

Also, everyone here is assuming that you have the later style pump with the integrated reservoir. If it is a 1968 tractor then it could have either the old or new style pump depending on the exact model and when in 1968 it was made, as they changed from the old style to the new style part way through 1968 for many models. So let us know what exact model tractor it is and whether it has the power steering pump with the reservoir up above the pump body or the one with the integrated reservoir and we might be better able to give you advice that actually applies to your situation.

(quoted from post at 07:27:26 07/27/22) sorry forgot to say it is a 68 ford 2000

Does it have the older style power steering pump with the separate reservoir up above the pump body, or the newer style pump with the reservoir integrated into the body of the pump? They changed from the old style to the new style on 10/1/1968 for the 2000 & 3000 series tractors so your 1968 2000 could have either style. Actually, since they made the old style for the first 9 months of the year, it has a 75% chance of being the old style and a 25% chance of being the new style.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back