Power steering pump tank...eh?

My PSP top lid was leaking so I got a gasket kit and a new filter to put in. I opened the can and inside was... this.

mvphoto96421.jpg

Milk jug lid and a piece of a black plastic bucket cut into a big ol washer.

mvphoto96422.jpg

That threaded pin below was stuck down in the hole in the center of that nut.

mvphoto96423.jpg

these keepers dont look like whats in the manual. I mean they worked I suppose who knows how long they were in there. My concern is that hook pin is so big it will block the fluid flow. ( I guess it hasnt so far but.. kinda want the right part in there) The diagram I have looks like a wire with a hook and a loop on top.

Im not sure what the point of the milk jug lid and the big plastic disk was. The diagram just shows that small washer plate going on the filter with a spring on it.

Maybe Im over thinking it and simply need a new milk jug lid.

:lol:

Looks like a previous owner lost some of the original parts, or possibly they broke from age, and he farmerized it.

I think maybe the black plastic disk could be replaced with a thin plate washer a bit bigger than the filter cork hole, and since the pin was working for...decades probably, I'll just reuse it. Dont argue with success I suppose.

As long as the filter is snug on its round plate and the hole in the middle is sealed, Itll work. Probably wont need the spring hold down, it was in the center of the filter not doing anyting, just loose over the hold down rod w the little hook.

I'll upgrade the farmerization and put it back that way, it seem to be basicly the same as the parts catalog diagram...more or less.

Make me wonder what I will eventually find down in this tractors innards one day lol.

I had a similar problem on a 640 i once had. I made a new wire with a hook on it to reattach the filter... worked good
mvphoto96500.jpg

mvphoto96501.jpg

Well that repair didn't fix the problem...

I thought the leak was a bad lid seal, but it turns out it isnt leaking from the lid seal, its leaking from the center of the lid, around the disk, that seem to be a vent?

mvphoto97691.jpg

If its a vent, I'm not sure why fluid is leaking out of it. It never did before.

Any advice on this thing? do I need a new lid or can this one be repaired?

I took the filter out, refilled the tank to about an inch from the top, and put the lid back on.

It stopped leaking and the PSP stopped whining. I'm not going to argue with success.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back