Power Steering -Update

GlenIdaho

Well-known Member
Well, tore into the steering gear and aligned the sector gears. Fortunately I found no broken teeth. For those interested the mid or straight forward position is when the large tooth of the left sector gear is at the top and its fourth groove is aligned with the fourth tooth of the right sector gear. Both have punch marks to help alignment. As Soundguy said, the pitman arms are slightly toward the rear.

Put the cylinders on and adjusted and took the tractor for a spin, first time its moved under its own power since the project began. I have a few more things to do before completion. I'll post a photo of the progress. Thanks again to all to have helped.
 
As I understand it toe in for vehicles provides for better tire wear, cornering and directional satbility. I would assume that for tractors directional or steering steering stability is the primary reason for it. It would help maintaining a straight line. For the 800 series it is adjusted by the drag link, i.e. shortening or lengthening. Hope this answers your question.
 
If you set your toe slightly wider at the front your wheel will not dig into the ground as bad when you make a sharp turn as if you set toe like a car or truck with toe in.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top