Power steering

Zeb16223

Member
Can the power steering pump seals be replaced while the pump is on the tractor? It looks like the the radiator will need to come off. OHHHHH BOY. The pump looks to be leaking out of the front seal. The power steering works good except for this leak and wheel wobble which I hope I can fix by flipping the gear. If not is this gear still available?

So, after more research, I have found that the old seal part numbers have been replaced by new part numbers and parts. What I am finding is that the new seals take 2 instead of 1 and a spacer in between them. What I am not finding is, how these parts are installed. To me the lip of the seal goes towards the oil. Will both seals be installed this way with the spacer in the middle? Will I have to disassemble the pump to replace the seals?
 
(quoted from post at 16:44:58 08/11/15) Can the power steering pump seals be replaced while the pump is on the tractor? It looks like the the radiator will need to come off. OHHHHH BOY. The pump looks to be leaking out of the front seal. The power steering works good except for this leak and wheel wobble which I hope I can fix by flipping the gear. If not is this gear still available?

So, after more research, I have found that the old seal part numbers have been replaced by new part numbers and parts. What I am finding is that the new seals take 2 instead of 1 and a spacer in between them. What I am not finding is, how these parts are installed. To me the lip of the seal goes towards the oil. Will both seals be installed this way with the spacer in the middle? Will I have to disassemble the pump to replace the seals?

Well GFL to any one looking for any help here. All I can say is buy the GD book and do all of the research you can on line because nobody on here will help.
 
(quoted from post at 16:44:58 08/11/15) Can the power steering pump seals be replaced while the pump is on the tractor? It looks like the the radiator will need to come off. OHHHHH BOY. The pump looks to be leaking out of the front seal. The power steering works good except for this leak and wheel wobble which I hope I can fix by flipping the gear. If not is this gear still available?

So, after more research, I have found that the old seal part numbers have been replaced by new part numbers and parts. What I am finding is that the new seals take 2 instead of 1 and a spacer in between them. What I am not finding is, how these parts are installed. To me the lip of the seal goes towards the oil. Will both seals be installed this way with the spacer in the middle? Will I have to disassemble the pump to replace the seals?

If my gut feeling is right the original seal was probably two seals fastened together back to back with the open, or lip sides facing out or something like that design. The new seals will go in back to back with the open lip side facing out, one toward the pump to seal pressure in and one toward the fan to keep dirt out and evidently with a spacer between them. The pump needs to come off to do this. It's a good time to replace the seal in the back side of the pump too. Some guys claim they can get the fan out without removing the radiator but I'd take the radiator out to save from possibly poking a hole in it while struggling to get the fan out. Sorry, there is no easy way to do this.
 
I was able to get the pump and fan out of my 70 by unbolting the radiator mounts and moving it forward as far as the hoses would allow. Previous poster was correct about the seals. The original one was double lipped. The replacement is two seals with a spacer in between installed opposite each other.
 
(quoted from post at 16:25:44 08/14/15) I was able to get the pump and fan out of my 70 by unbolting the radiator mounts and moving it forward as far as the hoses would allow. Previous poster was correct about the seals. The original one was double lipped. The replacement is two seals with a spacer in between installed opposite each other.
OK thanks that is what we had sort of figured out. What about the bearing and bushing? The oldest guy I could find at the JD parts counter said to be sure and check the shaft for a groove worn in it? He said the new shaft is $420.00. I was thinking is the shaft does have a groove, put the 2 seals lip towards the inside of the pump as I will not be using the tractor as some of you do, not a trailer queen but I only have about 4 acres I will be actually working with this machine.......maybe a parade if I am lucky.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top