Pre-Emergent Herbicide for Foxtail

Chuck, WA

My extension agent tells me that the best way to control weeds in my grass hay field is to fertilize, water and mow to establish a healthy turf to crowd out weeds. I"ve been doing that for five years and the weeds just keep getting worse. Last year, I finally decided to spray, and did a broadleaf spray (2-4-D) overall, but I"m not sure it was sufficient, at the right time, or whatever because I didn"t see a very effective kill.

But, the harder problem is yellow foxtail. The advice I get is that the only herbicide solution is a pre-emergent spray. I"ve done a little research online, but not enough to be sure I know what I"m doing, what herbicide to use, and when and how to apply.

I looked up Dacthal and Betasan. One of the problems I see in my case is the need for watering (rain or irrigation) to "activate" the herbicide. The best I can gather is that in my area (southeastern Washington State), I should apply around mid-March. It"s reasonable to expect rain at that time, but not a certainty. My irrigation water is not available until at least the first week in April.

Any suggestions - particularly from anybody out there from Eastern Washington?

Thanks!
Chuck, WA

What you're wanting to do cannot be done. You can control broadleafs in grass, but not another grass. Kyhayman addressed this in another topic earlier. As I recall, his recommendation was to cut the foxtail early to prevent seed head production. From a nutritional standpoint, early cut foxtail is good. Other than we just don't like to see broadleaf weeds in our fine grass stands, recent research indicates that the overall nutritional value of a particular forage is not reduced that much.
Stay with your 24D applications and you'll get the weeds. Early application is the secret.

Except for Canadian thistles with the 2,4D - on thatr weed late application can work a lot better.

I'm not familiar with a good grass killer either to use in a grass crop either, other than in corn, which is an annual grass, not a perenial like a hay crop.

--->Paul

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back