pressure checking Pinned head

standard210

New User
My 1949 G head was cracked going into the intake valves and needed repair. The machine shop pinned and install harden seats but I still get water in the cylinders . I build a plate and pressure checked the head to 20 lbs but what I get is air leaks around the pins and a lot coming from the seat . Is this ok ? To me I'm screwed but I've never pressure check a pinned head . Any input would be great. Thanks

Just guessing here, but I don't think it should be leaking period. I had a Dodge pick up that I had the heads done, got it back together and leaked. Took it back off and they epoxied it and said that would fix it. It didn't. Took it off again and told them I was getting sick of taking it off and on. They bought me a new head.

I have ran into this before, if the machine shop does not cut out the insert correctly or cuts too deep it will leak as they cut into the water jacket, had to have Midwest Cylinder Head in Iowa weld it to fill in the thin area and install the seat correctly. They could probably weld it and repair the pinned area. A head for a 1949 G is going to be easier to find than one for a 1938 G as in my case, so that's another option.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back