bvaughn85

Recently installed rear main seal on H and still having
problems with it leaking. I am wanting to pressurize the
oil system somehow to be able to see where the leak is
coming from without having the engine running. Can
anyone explain the best way about going about this? Ill
have the tractor split, flywheel off and be able to see rear
main to see exactly what is leaking.

Remove the oil pressure tube attachment, and adapt a pump oil can, or small drill pump to it. pressure applied there will pressurize the whole system. you may need to rotate the engine by hand to align gallery holes. Jim

I doubt if you will be able to find the leak by pressurizing the oiling system without the engine running, as there won't be oil being slung around by the crankshaft.

Have you heard of a tool called a ''smoke machine'' or ''smoke generator''?

This will pump smoke into the crankcase, and will (hopefully) show a leak of smoke from the area of the oil leak.

They are commonly used to find emissions system leaks and can be used to find engine leaks, as well.

There's lots of videos on Youtube about using them, and even making your own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tObnbOfo_ko

You have a good idea but it may be good in theory only. By just pressuring the oil system you may or may not get an adequate test. When running oil is being thrown off the spinning crank and camshafts. The rod and piston are also throwing oil around that is coming out of the rod bearing to all surfaces within their aim. So by just pressuring the oil system you are not duplicating the scenario that is happening when the engine is running. In my opinion it would be helpful to pressurize the crank case with compressed air. I would suggest air regulated to 2-3 psi. You will have to block the breather on the valve cover and then connect your air to the regular breather vent off of the tappet cover side plate.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back