Priming oil pump on TO-30

Mad Farmer

Was hoping to get the Fergy running today. Carb/fuel system ready to go. Dist static timed

I pulled the plugs and gave each cyl a couple shots of oil, put a battery in and turned the engine ~30 seconds 8-9 times, giving the starter a rest in between. Spun over nicely with the plugs out.

I was concerned that the oil pressure gauge did not move. I was hoping to get oil to the top before starting.

I disconnected the oil line at the gauge and spun it a few more times, no oil at the gauge. Most likely gauge is OK. Put off trying to start it.

Is there an easy way to prime the oil pump? I'm assuming this is the problem. It has been sitting for well over a year/2 years.

A search here reveals pulling the fitting where the oil gauge line connects at the block, and using something like a gear oil bottle w/pointy tip to feed oil into the block.

If this is correct how much oil should you feed in to get the prime back? Will this be a PITA and take forever?

I'm open to other ideas to feed the oil into the block.

Thanks in advance

A $20 pump up garden sprayer with a couple of quarts of engine oil in it adapted to a fitting that fits in the oil gauge port makes a GREAT oil pump priming and engine pre-lube tool.

ySCw00g.jpg

IGNORE the small block Chevy in the photo, but it shows how to do this.

They chevy brings back memories. I rebuilt a 69 370/350 for my camaro. Took it down to bare block, bored, decked, balanced.......

I see the dist priming tool in picture too. I made mine. Went to junkyard for a dist. Removed the drive gear and advance assy, then brazed a 3/8" bolt to the top of the shaft. Cut off the head on the bolt and I had a priming tool. Spun it with a drill and found out I'd forgot the plug where picture shows the pump primer connected. Shot oil all the way to the garage ceiling!!! Still have that tool.

The pump sprayer idea is great idea. Do you need to use 2 quarts? The tractor as sits is full of clean oil.

How hard is it to get the block to take oil and does the low tech method of using a gear oil bottle work/work well?

Thanks I liked the SB chevy, except it's an automatic........

This post was edited by Mad Farmer on 09/23/2023 at 04:32 am.

On another thread someone suggested squirting oil back up the gauge line with a squirt oil can. That's what I did to my TE-20 that had been sitting for years. It primed the oil pump and I had good pressure at startup.

On another thread someone suggested squirting oil back up the gauge line with a squirt oil can. That's what I did to my TE-20 that had been sitting for years. It primed the oil pump and I had good pressure at startup. I didn't use a fitting I just held the can nozzle up to the line as best I could.

(quoted from post at 05:49:37 09/23/23) On another thread someone suggested squirting oil back up the gauge line with a squirt oil can. That's what I did to my TE-20 that had been sitting for years. It primed the oil pump and I had good pressure at startup. I didn't use a fitting I just held the can nozzle up to the line as best I could.

I've got one of those oil cans. How much oil did you pump in?

Never primed things this/these ways. I think I can find some rubber tubing to fit both the oil can and oil line. Maybe no mess that way?

As mentioned above with a SBC you can prime system with a modified distributor, as the oil pump drives off the bottom of the distributor shaft . You pressurize the whole system, oil gauge goes right up.

This post was edited by Mad Farmer on 09/23/2023 at 06:42 am.

(quoted from post at 06:41:25 09/23/23)
I've got one of those oil cans. How much oil did you pump in?

Never primed things this/these ways. I think I can find some rubber tubing to fit both the oil can and oil line. Maybe no mess that way?

This post was edited by Mad Farmer on 09/23/2023 at 06:42 am.

Good idea on the tubing. Oh maybe 40 or 50 squirts? I think I could hear a different sound when I had succeeded, maybe the oil dripping back into the pan.

I think youre doing everything as it should be done. The oil pump is self priming as it sits in the oil bath. Turning over the engine May or
may not give you indication that pump is working. Ive rebuilt quite a few of these engines and oil pumps, knowing that the engine is
properly put back together Ive relied on that first startup to see oil pressure on the gauge. So, its not surprising that your not seeing
pressure on the gauge just turning it over with battery. On first fire up if you dont see pressure within the first 30 seconds or so then you
may have a problem.

Let us know how youre doing.

Tom

(quoted from post at 07:54:43 09/23/23) I think youre doing everything as it should be done. The oil pump is self priming as it sits in the oil bath. Turning over the engine May or
may not give you indication that pump is working. Ive rebuilt quite a few of these engines and oil pumps, knowing that the engine is
properly put back together Ive relied on that first startup to see oil pressure on the gauge. So, its not surprising that your not seeing
pressure on the gauge just turning it over with battery. On first fire up if you dont see pressure within the first 30 seconds or so then you
may have a problem.

Tom

Tom, that's why I know I have a prime problem. With the plugs out it turned over at a good clip w/starter. I did this a bunch of times w/gauge hooked up and with the line off. No sign of oil.

Supposed to rain 2 days here and Fergy is covered outside so no updates for a bit. I'm going to try the oil can pump first.

Will make up some new bat cables in the meantime. Those are in rough shape (insulation). A friend just gave me a bunch of used 2/0 arc welding cable, need to locate solder on terminals local.

(quoted from post at 10:35:44 09/23/23)
(quoted from post at 07:54:43 09/23/23) I think youre doing everything as it should be done. The oil pump is self priming as it sits in the oil bath. Turning over the engine May or
may have a problem.

Tom

Tom, that's why I know I have a prime problem. With the plugs out it turned over at a good clip w/starter. I did this a bunch of times w/gauge hooked up and with the line off. No sign of oil.

Supposed to rain 2 days here and Fergy is covered outside so no updates for a bit. I'm going to try the oil can pump first.

Will make up some new bat cables in the meantime. Those are in rough shape (insulation). A friend just gave me a bunch of used 2/0 arc welding cable, need to locate solder on terminals local.

Another friend has real solder, I just need ends.

Thank my Lord for providing me.....

I posted here a couple weeks ago on my TO20 engine shop rebuild, I went to start it up and no oil
pressure. I pulled off the oil filter access cover and the shop guys had installed the sump screen upside
down so that the oil pump pickup tube was effectively blocked. I also pulled the pan, primed the pump
tube and on the next startup try, got immediate pressure. A TO30 has a different pickup configuration but
you may want to verify nothing out of place.

(quoted from post at 16:36:03 09/28/23) Are you sure that the oil line to the gauge isn t stopped up?
BillL

The oil can hooked to the oil line to the gauge, primed the system, or at least the oil gally /bearings. I pumped in 20 oz, the second 10 oz you could feel the pressure when pumping.

Still spinning engine w/o plugs did not get a rise out of the gauge. I put the plugs in tried to start it.

The tractor only turned a couple strokes before it started and runs great. After - 30 seconds oil pressure came up about to 3/4 . It's not labeled in psi so can't tell exactly,
But has good pressure.

I'll post some pictures of oil can hookup.

This is first time the tractor had run in many years. I went through the dist,, rebuilt the carb and redid sediment bowl.

I can't believe how quickly if fired up runs so smooth. I might not even have to adjust the carb.

This post was edited by Mad Farmer on 10/08/2023 at 02:46 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back