Primitive Horse Drawn

I purchased this old equipment from a recent auction
for a good price and am looking for any information on make, age, etc. The plow looks like only a 10 inch or so. The wood spike harrow looks to be factory made and is solid and complete. The steel cultivator is adjustable width and has broken fron wheel that can be brazed. The plow with the wood beam is in good shape . Here is the pictures.
a157693.jpg

a157694.jpg
 
Nice finds. I'm in Southern Illinois and find a lot of the old horse-drawn stuff still around at auctions. One of the only things good about living in Illinois is the rich farm heritage.
 
Bill
That plow looks like a Kelly sandy bottom. Only guessing. The cultivator looks like an adjustable. Many companies made that type of machine. Look for numbers or casting numbers will help identifying the item. Send me any numbers you find, I might be able to look them up, since I have been collecting casting numbers for many years.
Good Luck email open
 
Brother bought a steel single bottom horse drawn plow. The plow needed new handles; he found them at a hardware store in Amish country in IN or OH.
 
You have to understand that cultivators were as common as ticks back in the day. Every mail order house, every feed store, every hardware carried cultivators. Figuring out exactly what you have with a makers mark or name is going to be tough. The plow you might do better on, but again, EVERYBODY made them. You can try Rural Heritage magazine or Farm Collector mag.
 
Always interesting to see these, like was said, some were real common, judging from what I have seen over the years, every old barn around here was likely to have a stash of them, ours had a few in the loft, one of which was a McCormick-Deering walk behind Cultivator, I attached a link to a M-D site.

This particular piece that was left in one of our old barns, never seemed to have been left out, and you can tell by the wood handles on it, even when the roof leaked, I made sure to move it away to somewhere dry, until I went and retrieved it. What stands out in my mind is that I would never be able to tell what manufacturer made it, if those handles were left to weather outside, the name is clearly preserved, and it resides in my dry, heated garage/basement for over 20 years now.

I remember thinking about this old piece, all the years I remember it, since day one as a kid, being in that loft, I remember oiling the handle and works a bit to free it up, as a young kid, probably one of the first things I ever worked on too. It had long been idle, but you could see the wood was still yellow, no gray weathering, and was likely hoisted into place via an old pulley just above and outside the loft doors.

One day, I decided to go get this M-D cultivator, and the barn had seen its better days, unfortunately, you had best be careful where you walk upstairs, I wish I could have saved that barn, just for hay storage alone. So with rope in hand, I got it close to the door, walking on an old hay elevator that stuck out, lowered it down to the ground. I then hefted this thing onto my back, (thinking about this now, younger and more durable then LOL !) and literally carried it a 1/8th mile up the hill to my house, well its under a 1/4 mile as its a shorter route than using the lane. All the while, with a spotlight on my back, one of the State Troopers, from the adjacent barracks next to our farm, must have seen me, they kind of used to keep an eye on the old place, I felt like an escaped prisoner or something being lit up, was about dusk as I recall. I never looked back, as I could not stop with this thing on my back, was kinda heavy LOL.
Thought I'd share that, thinking about that old implement, which has been preserved all these years, hopefully yours go inside under cover, so many people just put these things outside where the weather destroys them, or at least the wood anyway.
M D
 
Thanks for comments. There is not much in the way of casting numbers or lettering. The harrow and plow will be stored out of the weather and I will sandblast and paint the cultivator. Clear wood preservative may go on all wood. I have a single walking planter the culivator will go with. At the last Penfield, IL heritage farm days show , a vender was selling Oak handles. Its a shame to see Old wood wagons and vintage farm equipment sitting in the dirt and rotting away. The reason the plow and harrow are still around is because they were stored out of the weather.
 

Plain old boiled linseed oil will preserve the wood and not bother the old paint that's left. Some of the modern clear preservatives don't react well with some of the real old paints.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top