Problems pulling clutch disk on JD-A

chas036

Member
Location
Binghamton NY
I have a late model A and I am trying to pull the clutch disk but have had no success. I tried using a universal puller with claws and put the claws behind the gear teeth and I tightened as much as I could with no success. Can someone recommend a good puller for this type of work or is there another method I should be using?
 
Use some PB Blaster on it, let it soak, put the puller on it and tighten it up good and tight. Then give the end of the puller bolt a good sharp rap or two. The vibration should do the trick. Good luck
 
Some of the clutch drivers have threaed holes for jack screws to push it off the end of the crank. Do you have a IT manual?? I think the late "A" is the same as a model 60.
 
Toward the center area there should be a square hole wwith a round hole to its inside. Like a key hole. use 2 lonng bolts and a t-bar across the end of the crank. The head of bolt into the squareand into the round part( half inch bolt ) and up through the t-bar and tighten nuts evenly a flat at a time when nice and snug rap t-bar with hammer. clutch disc is on taper spline it dont have to move far to come loose. I did see lock tight and shims on a 60 I pulled apart last winter and I put it back the same way, that is what the farmer wanted
 
Good heavy puller tighten, heat clutch driver with a big tip in torch. Cutting torch head if you don't have a big tip. One thing I found is the screw on your puller & the contact on the bolt in the end of crankshaft needs some grease or heavy oil. Pullers have a lot of friction at those points on a hard pull.
 
Just pulled mine yesterday (49 A). I used a good Craftsman 2-jaw puller in the key slots & a couple of sharp raps. Give it a couple of raps & tighten a little more.
 
get two 5/8 bolts with square nuts, insert them in the pulley slot and tighten them equaley, when they are thight tap them with a hammer and then retighten them again if need to get the pulley off. that what the slots are for on A B G 50 60 and maybe the 70s also. Good luck
 
Chas036 - IMHO, here is a CLASSIC CASE where posting a photo of the break-out you see would have changed this post drmatically!

If you have a digital camera, posting a picture here on this forum is sooooo easy!

If you need guidance, write me - my email is open. (PatB)
 

I had one stuck on a JD 70, we spent an hour with a hand held can of butane on the geared part, tapping on the gear and pulling with a puller as hard as we dared, no luck. Then in a last ditch effort, we rapped a couple times on the outer disk with the puller under tension, and it popped loose, but be careful how hard you rap on the disk part, it can break.

Matt
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top