Propane to Gasoline

HNM

I have a 4 cylinder engine powered by propane and would like to change to gasoline. The tank i have now is the fork truck style (lay down) so would that feed the carb with liquid propane? The line going to the carb is very small and I don't see any regulators for vapor feed. Could I just hook gas where the propane is now and have it work or do I need a different carb. Thanks for your time and knowledge. Neil

If propane now it likely has a carb. made for propane. The change to gasoline you will need a gasoline carb. Then you will need a gas tank , lines and maybe even a fuel pump ?

If it is a factory propane system, you will need a different carb.

There were some aftermarket that used a clamp on adapter to feed propane through the original carb, but those are mostly automotive applications. But if there is a carb behind the propane adaptor, then it could be used.

It would be easier to buy a gas tank than try to modify a propane tank. Check Ebay fuel cell. If the tank is somewhat above the carb, it will gravity feed. If gravity feed, the tank outlet will need to be on the bottom with a shut off valve. If even with or below the carb it will need a pump. Best to pump from the top with a dip tube for safety.

A friend has an old forklift which was originally gas, but was switched to propane by a prior owner. He asked me to switch it back to gas. We got lucky and found a used carb on line which fit the manifold. I used the original gas tank, which was part of the frame. That was trouble as it's a rusted mess, (and the original sending unit is a rusted mess as well). I installed an electric fuel pump and a large in line filter. It took a bunch of linkage modification to get the choke and throttle plate functions correct.

find a gas engine,.. then swap all the gas stuff to that engine. and what engine is that?

When, 1962-63 i worked for Allis Chalmers and we took i a whole fleet of WD's and possibly a couple 45's. They were gasoline tractors converted to LP. They still had the original gasoline tank, but has a tank on front of the grille. The gasoline tanks were dirty and carburetors had to be rebuilt and the propane equipment removed. We painted them up and they all looked good. I think all of them had to be overhauled after being sold as they used too much oil.

My guess is that they will run well on propane when totally worn out, but have to be overhauled when converted back to gasoline

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back