PTO kicks out

Was brush hoggin" today with the 2n (finally) and it did a pretty good job. THe only problem I had was that the pto would disengage itself once in a while. It wasn"t a lot but enough to be annoying. Is it that normal when it gets into some heavy stuff or something I"m going to have to repair in the near future?
ALSO... I need to get some stabilizer bars but the brackets they connect to under the axles are completely different. Can I pick these up somewhere retail, or am I going to have to search some out?
Thanks for all the help.
Chuck.
 
Well after a lot of trouble due to board improvents, I did figger out how to post what I want to.
ytmag.png
 
Usually the reason the PTO will not stay in gear is because of a loose PTO bearing. This can be caused by a badly worn bearing, a broken snap ring groove in the PTO bearing housing or the bearing retainer sleeve having moved from where it should be. Or the bearing snap ring can be dislodged.

Any movement front to back will cause it to jump out of gear.

The PTO coupling splines can also be worn and cause it to jump out of gear too, but not as often as the before mentioned things.

The detent is another thing to examine but it is less likely to be the problem.

Always be sure that the telescoping portion of the drive shaft is well lubricated or it can damage the PTO bearing etc.
 
Ditto what Zane said.

with the machine off grab the pto shaft and check for in/out wear or up/down-side/side wear...
If there is in/out play, it will let the pto 'walk' out of engagement..


Soundguy
 
When you find out, post back. Could be anything from an easy fix to 50$ to 100$ replacement.. unless the coupler is chewed up already.

good luck, and post back.

Soundguy
 
Well I tried to check out the play in the shaft, then thought I should get the adapter off before I go tuggin" on it to make sure I was really testing the shaft and not the adapter, and come to find out the adapter is really an ORC. It"s missing the grease fittings, but looks like it"s still usable ( guess that explains the clicking sound I heard when I was mowing ), any suggestions on how to get the thing off? It"s on there pretty good.
Thanks, Chuck.
 
Drive out the roll pin...your grease fitting is out remove the grease fitting on the opposite side of the grease fitting. If both grease fittings are missing rotate ORC till you see the roll pin in the grease fitting hole, then drive it out. Then pull thr orc off..
 
That ORC won't last long if it's grease fititngs are gone and dirt has infiltrated the bearing and ratchet.

In any case, you rotate the outside sleave to line up with a hole in the inside sleave and pto shaft and there will be a hollow spring pin in there that needs to be driven out.

5/16 x 2" comes to mind. Use a drift to drive it out.

If it has not had a grease fitting it may be seized and or rusted on..

Soundguy
 
I have the same problem with my 8N. It will jump out under heavy mowing load. The first time it did that, I was in some really deep brush. Probably too deep. What was the cause of your problem???
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top