swhockett

I am getting a leak around my PTO retainer. I'm assuming the fix is replacing the gasket (C5NN747A) but wondered if anyone has found that it is a good idea to go ahead and replace the seal (D8NN703AA) as well? Will the entire hydraulics need to be drained?[/b]

(quoted from post at 15:34:24 05/07/23) I am getting a leak around my PTO retainer. I'm assuming the fix is replacing the gasket (C5NN747A) but wondered if anyone has found that it is a good idea to go ahead and replace the seal (D8NN703AA) as well? Will the entire hydraulics need to be drained?

i've only replaced my entire PTO shaft assy to go to modern size, so no opinion on the seal.

i was told to park mine nose down and make the swap, and so i did. i later found out this is a great way to find out if your front trans seal is bad, thereby awarding you the prize of doing the clutch when you soak it.

happily for me, my seal was ok. your mileage may vary ;)

As HFJ said, resist the temptation to save 5 minutes by parking it nose down in a ditch instead of draining the fluid. The front transmission seal was
not designed to be totally immersed in oil. If it's defective, you will fill the bell housing with oil and then you will get to replace the clutch.

Remove the four bolts and pull the shaft out. The seal has two spring clamps around it. Take your needle nose pliers & remove the one in the front. Then,
hang the shaft & bearing housing in your vice & tap the butt end of the shaft; the bearing cap will come off (and the shaft will land on your foot).
Then, remove the other spring clip from the other side of the bearing. At this point, remember that you never bought a seal driver & go get a BF socket &
drive the seal out. If you have the new style seal, the white side goes out. (open side to the oil) Put some grease on it.
You will need the seal and a gasket.

Time-wise, a 2 beer job.
75 Tips

While it may be just your gasket leaking, it is usually the seal weeping down. There is a collar heat shrunk onto the pto shaft that usually needs replacing too, due to have a badly worn groove at the seal.

Part No: 9N735B 1-1/8 Shaft
Part No: 9N73538 1-3/8 Shaft

mvphoto84156.jpg

The leak could through the seal or past the PTO bearing housing gasket. If the the oil seal (9n703) and sleeve (9n735) is leaking, then the
cap (9n726) will be full of oil. If the cap is dry and the shaft is dry then the leak is likely from the gasket (9n4129). The bearing
housing cap (9n733) is tapered to the rear housing assembly. The bearing housing cap will need to be rotated and fitted to determine which
direction fits the tightest, Permatex ultra black oil resistance rtv silicone gasket maker could be used to ensure sure fit. I needed to
tap the housing with a hammer while torqueing the bolts to ensure a tight fit. Hopes that helped. I fixed my leak early 2023, it was the
gasket and the housing was not tight to the rear housing.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back